/chapter six/

A Melwood Story
Chapter 6

Melissa

I have to tell someone about the pregnancy. I obviously have to tell the Supergirl production team, but I want to hold off on that for a little while at least.

Maybe I should tell my mom or one of my sisters. They might have some solid advice of some sort for me, but I just need to share this small burden with someone else, so I'm not the only one. Besides Blake of course, but we all know he's not going to help.

I could talk to Chris about it. His daughter's mom isn't really in the picture from what I can tell. He's a pretty good listener based on his listening skills on set from the director.

I get to set exactly at the time I was supposed to come. 6 a.m.

"Hey, Melissa!" Chyler says, her head poking out of her trailer door.
"Hi," I say with a smile.

"Good morning, Mel," David says as I pass him on the way to hair and makeup.
"Morning, David," I say with another smile.

If I seem happy, no one will question if I'm okay or not. I don't need to be babied.

I reach hair and makeup at 6:07 a.m. Chris is already there with his daughter sitting in his lap, playing on his phone.

"Oh, hey, Melissa," Chris says with a smile of his own.
"Good morning," I say. "You're here early."
"Well, you know, I just like being out and busy."
"Ah, I see."

I sit down and open my book. Within a second, Chris makes a comment.
"I love that book," he says.
"Really? I've found it difficult to start."
"Maybe," he starts. "There's too much on your mind. Try opening yourself up to the characters a bit more."

He's right. There is a lot on my mind. I can't tell him while we're in hair and makeup though. Maybe later.

"Okay, I'll try."
"It'll help," he says. "I read it after Nya was born and it really helped me escape from the stress of being a new dad."

Maybe I should wait and try to read it after the babies are born. Babies. Plural. Two. Nope. I'm reading this book now.

I look back down at the book and continue trying to read it.

Chris

Once I've finished a few scenes for the morning, I take Nya back to my trailer so she can take a little nap.

"Sleep well, Nya," I say as I lay a blanket over her.
She smiles as she closes her eyes.

My phone vibrates in my pocket. I look to see that it's a message from Melissa.
It reads: Hey, I was wondering if I could talk to you about something. When you're free.
I reply: I'm free right now. Nya is napping. Where are you?
She replies: I'll come to you.
I text back: Okay, well I'm in my trailer.
She replies: I'll be there in three.

There's a knock at my door almost exactly three minutes later.

I open the door. "Hey."
"Uh, hi."
"Do you want to talk outside or in?" I ask. "It's just that Nya is sleeping so..."
"We can talk out here," she says.
"Alright." I step outside and shut the door almost all the way.

She stares at me for a second. "I don't know what I was going to say now that you're standing here in-front of me."
"You can say anything. I'm listening. I'm here," I reassure her.

"Okay..." she starts. "Well, I'm—I'm pregnant with Blake's babies and he just, he just left."

Uh, okay? I wonder why she's telling me this?

"Babies?" I ask.
"Yeah, twins. I just found out a week ago."
"That it's twins?"
"Yeah."
"And Blake, he's your..."
"Husband."

"May I ask, why are you telling me this?"
"I—I just needed to tell someone and I trust you."

She trusts me. She trusts me.

"Melissa," I say, resting my hand on her arm. "You can tell me anything."
"Well, I just told you, so now you know about the pregnancy."
"You can always talk to me about it."
"Okay." She looks down.

"So, what are you feeling about this...all?"
"I'm mad because I didn't want even a baby in the first place. Blake got mad at me for being disappointed about the pregnancy, leading to our marriage being an overall disaster. And now he's gone and I have to do this all alone."
"I won't leave you alone, I promise. Whatever you need."
"Thank you." She turns away to leave.

"I was in almost the same position," I tell her.
She turns back. "Really?"
"Yes," I say. "Nya's mother didn't want to have a baby, she didn't want to be mother."

Melissa walks back towards me.

"She was young, so I understood where she was coming from, but I knew at the time that I couldn't live knowing I could've been a father. I told her that if she had the baby, that I would take the baby and make sure she never had to see the child."

"And she's never met the baby?"
"No. It was part of the plan. She's never met Nya and Nya has never met her."
"What does Nya know about her mother than?"
"That she left." I look past Melissa at the next trailer.

"Okay," she says under her breath.
"Okay," I repeat. "If you have anything you want to talk to me about, I'm here. Alright?"
"Alright." She smiles then turns and walks away.

I open the door and step inside to see that Nya is still sound asleep.

Now I'm the only other person besides Melissa and Blake that know about her pregnancy. How am I supposed to act cool and chill while we're around other people when I know she's struggling?

This is going to be an interesting couple of days or weeks.