one

"Ethan's been in his room for weeks. He's barely eaten, or even spoken to me, I don't know what to do, El" Grayson spoke down the phone, pacing up and down the corridor outside Ethan's room.
"I've tried checking up on Emma, and Gray, I'm really worried about her. She's so skinny, and hasn't stopped crying since everything happened. How could Ethan do this? Why would he do this? We all thought he loved her." Ellie said, her voice shaky, as she sat in her car outside Emma's house.
"Ellie, there's more to the story than just that. But, I need to tell Emma first. The only reason I haven't told anyone, is because I needed Emma to know before she found out from someone else. She's just blocked out all my calls, and I even tried to visit her, but each time I go, no one answers the door anymore" He stressed, his voice cracking.
"Well maybe, you can tell me. We'll tell her together and it'll make it easier" She suggested, and Grayson sighed.
"Yeah, I guess, she needs to know soon, I already feel really bad that it's been this long, do you think you can come over to mine?" He asked, walking into his room.
"Of course, and we'll visit Emma's after?" Ellie questioned and Grayson hummed in agreement.
"Okay, I'll see you soon, I love you, Ellie"
"I love you too, I'll be 10 minutes" she replied, ending the call, and plugging her phone into the aux, selecting her playlist.

After a short while of waiting, Grayson jolted up from his bed at the sound of the doorbell. He sprinted downstairs, opening it to see Ellie. Grayson kissed her quickly, guiding her inside and leading her to the couch.

"Please don't get mad at me for not telling you, I just wanted Em to know first, but then she kept rejecting my calls and-"
"Gray, it's okay, as soon as you tell me, we can go tell her together" Ellie took his hand into hers, softly stroking the back of it, instantly relaxing him.
"I s-saw everything that happened that night" he admitted, and she nodded for him to continue.

Flashback

Meredith began trying to talk to Ethan, and the rest of the group were listening to what she was saying.
"Ethan, I still can't believe you picked her over me" Meredith slurred, looking in Emma's direction with a scowl.
"Why wouldn't I? You know we were never real Meredith" Ethan scoffed, sipping on his drink.

All he wanted, was to leave this group, drag his brother and Aaron away with him, and just tell Emma how beautiful she looked tonight. But he knew Meredith all too well, he knew if he walked away, she'd cause a scene, and he didn't want that for Emma. He never wanted Emma to get involved in unnecessary drama.

"But you loved being with me, E" she flirted, sending a small smirk his way.
"God, you're practically on your knees for him" Aaron mocked her, causing Ethan to erupt with laughter.
"I'd be on my knees for him any day" Meredith added, and everyone's eyes widened.
"It's pathetic how you think you've actually got a chance with me. I'm with Emma for a reason, I don't want you, and I never wanted you." Ethan spat.
"Oh, I really don't have a chance huh?" She mumbled, leaning into him.
"N-" Ethan was cut off, by lips latching on to his.

He pulled away as quick as possible, noticing Emma running away. He knew how it looked, and he knew what she saw. Ethan knew Emma's heart was already broken, but all he could do, is try and explain.

"Emma!" Ethan shouted after her, bolting away from his friends, and through the house. He noticed her ignoring him, even when he continued to shout.

When he finally caught up to her, he softly grasped on to her wrist, lightly tugging it, and watching as she turned around.
"Get off me Ethan" she spat, pulling her arm away as her voice broke.
"Baby" he cried, reaching out to her.
"No, you don't get to do that" Emma dodged his hand, "you really thought you could just kiss her and nothing would happen"
"Emma it's not-" Ethan started, trying to explain what really happened.
"That's where you've been all day, isn't it Ethan? That's why you couldn't be with me this morning, or after school. Because you were with her! You were with Meredith. You promised me you loved me Ethan"
"I do love you!" He shouted, scaring her slightly.
"Bullshit Ethan! You don't kiss another girl if you love someone. I know relationships are hard for you, but it's not that difficult to get your head around. You lied to me, you promised me you'd stay with me, and you wouldn't go back there. I guess you didn't really change after all" Emma screamed back, wiping her tears away, and trying to stay strong.
"Baby, please, let me explain, just hear me out okay?" His voice cracked as a tear streamed down his face too.
"You don't get to call me that anymore"
"Emma" he whispered, stroking her face slightly.
"Fuck off Ethan!" Emma cried, hitting his hand away again, "go back to your slut, just like you did before. Hope she was worth it"

And with that, Emma left Ethan standing alone, his face stained with tears as she got in her car. She turned the car on, and looked back once more at her boyfriend, and rolling down her window,

"And by the fucking way" she said, catching his attention, "we're over!"

And Ethan was left, standing outside, alone in the cold. He was completely lost, and didn't know what to do. Grayson walked out, placing a hand on Ethan's shoulder, and standing next to him.

Ethan collapsed into Grayson's arms, sobbing and mumbling about how he'd fucked everything up.
"She's gone Gray, she thinks I cheated, and she's never going to hear me out. How am I going to get her back? I love her so much, Grayson!" He cried, clutching on to his twin, as his tears stained his shirt.
"I know, bro. We'll get her back. You'll get her back, I promise Ethan" he vowed, patting his brothers back, "look at me"

Ethan looked up, his eyes puffy, and his face red.
"I promise" Grayson whispered, leading his brother to his car.

••••

1076 words

🤞🏻

I'm back bitches! I missed you guys wtf. So, now you know what actually happened and you can stop hating me lmao. I'm so excited for this book :))