33.) Now They Only Say Congratulations

I look at myself in the mirror one last time before taking a deep breath and going downstairs. Today, I graduate. My cap - all decorated, as the seniors every year decorate their caps for graduation - and gown are on, and I'm just waiting for Dad and Lea.

"Dad we're going to be late!" I yell, my voice echoing in the house. He comes rushing down the stairs, camera in hand.

"Oh Jessie," he says, tears brimming in his eyes. "My little girl grew up so fast."

"Dad, stop," I say, tears threatening to spill out of my eyes too. "We agreed no crying until after I get my diploma."

"Okay, okay, pulling it together." He takes a deep breath before asking, "Pictures?"

"Sure, but only a few. We can get more after the ceremony." Dad's camera shutter clicks and Lea comes down the stairs.

"What are you two doing?" She asks, playfully annoyed. "We're going to be late!" She grabs my hand and Dad's, and drags us out the door before we become later than we already are.

"Jessie!" Lilie yells over the noise of a hundred other students in the auditorium. "What took you so long?"

"Pictures," I laugh, shaking my head. "Why are we all outside? Isn't the ceremony on the football field?"

"Yeah, but they needed to 'control' us," Lilie says, obviously annoyed. "Like, hello, we graduate today! Of course things are going to get chaotic!"

"And you thrive on chaos!" I laugh, finishing her thoughts for her. She nods approvingly, and we're all led outside.

Name after name is called until mine rings out. Being valedictorian also comes with the honor of being dead last. It was the speech that I was most nervous for.

"'Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death.' Omar N. Bradley," I begin. "There are times when we've all been brave. Whether it was something small, like taking the training wheels off your bicycle for the first time, or even-" I motion to my leg, sticking it out from under my gown - "learning to live with a half a leg missing. Whatever it is, we all have that courage inside us, tucked away, waiting to shine through and turn the 'I can't' into the 'I just did' moments. Now, with graduation, there comes a time for new bravery. We'll all split away from this town, these people, and everything we've ever known. We'll launch ourselves into a completely new stratosphere, in places we've never been to with people we've never met. That's a whole different kind of brave. And we'll all have to face it." I turn, finding Chase's eyes in the sea of faces, and he calms me instantly. "I'm exceedingly lucky to call these people my classmates, my friends, and my family. Yes, we've been through hard times, and there have been a lot of tears, both happy and sad along with them. But we're still here. We survived. You all are some of the bravest people I've ever known." Turning back to the crowd, I add one last thing. "So would you please join me in congratulating the Amethyst High School's Class of 2019! May your bravery shine through in every aspect of your life, from now until forever."

The students let out a whoop and through caps into the air, and music plays. We all have one last summer before everything changes, and we're going to make the most of it.

I take pictures with so many people that night. I cry with them and I laugh with them, but in every single picture I'm wearing a huge smile on my face.

One summer, and everything becomes different. But for now, I have Chase, I have Lilie, I have Emerson and Kelsie and Wyatt, and I have my dad and Lea. And that feels like enough love and bravery to get through whatever it is that comes next.

~