5.) The Accident

A million questions start running through my head. Why is he here? Did my dad know he was going to my school? What the hell is happening?

"Jessie, I want you to meet Craig Trevor and his son, Chase," my dad says.

Still dazed, I manage to smile and say, "Nice to meet you. I'm Jessie."

They come in the house and we sit down to dinner. Except for the occasional question or input, I'm pretty quiet.

"Jessie?" my dad says. His tone says he's said my name a few times, but I wasn't paying attention.

"Sorry. What's up?"

"Craig and I are going to watch the game in the den."

"Okay Dad. I'll clean up."

"You're the best, Jess," Dad kisses my head and leaves, talking with Craig.

I grab some dishes and head to the sink. I notice Chase starts helping me.

"Thanks, but you don't have to," I say, smiling.

"It's okay. I've gotten pretty used to helping since my parents split," he says.

"Yeah that sucks." Please don't ask what I think you're going to ask, I think.

"So," Chase says. "You're parents are split up too?"

I sigh. Questions about my mom with new people around are inevitable. "Kind of," I say.

He gives me a puzzled expression. "What does that mean?"

"My mom passed away about six months ago," I say, determined not to tear up. Doesn't work.

"Oh my God, I didn't know," Chase says, touching my arm. "I'm so sorry Jessie."

I wipe my eyes and try to smile. "Me too," I say.

Chase takes his hand off my arm. "Hey, why don't we do something fun? Ice cream?"

"Sounds awesome," I say, smiling.

"Cool! Let me get my dad's keys and I'll meet you at the car." He turns and leaves the kitchen.

Ten minutes later, we're at my favorite ice cream place, Cool Zone. I get Mint Chunk, and Chase gets Rocky Road.

Turns out Chase is pretty funny. He keeps me laughing the entire time I'm with him

We finish our ice cream and get back in the car, talking about college.

"Juilliard, for dance," I say. Chase looks at me in surprise. "What?"

"I didn't know you were a dancer!" he says. "So is my sister! Well, she was, when she was in college. Now she just teaches it."

"Really?"

"Yeah. I don't see her much anymore because she lives with my mom in Arizona." His face clouds over.

"Well, what about you?" I ask.

"What?"

"Where do you want to go to college?"

He brightens. "NYU, for film."

"Big dreams for both of us huh?"

"Yep," he says, smiling.

That could've been the perfect night. And it almost was.

Until a gigantic semi-truck moves into our lane, not paying any attention to us or the slippery, rain-soaked road. He loses control and forces us off the highway.

"Holy shit!" Chase yells. He tries to get us out of the way and slams on the breaks.

The semi topples to the side, crushing the hood of his dad's car. And my leg. I scream in pain. The airbag explodes into my head as I bend down to try to free myself.

"911? Yes, help..." I hear Chase. "Jessie! Stay with me...!"

But I don't. I can't. And that's when everything goes black.

~