11.) Not Going Anywhere

As soon as school lets out, I call my dad and let him know that Chase is in the hospital.

"What?" He says. "Is he okay?"

"Dad, I promise I'll explain on the way there. For now, can you please come get me and drive me to him?"

In the car on the way to see Chase, I tell my dad everything that happened. It's hard to read his expression. But before I can sort out what he's feeling, we arrive at the hospital.

I immediately go to the front desk. A pretty nurse around my dad's age with a short blonde bob was working there.

"Excuse me?" I say. She looks up at me. "I'm here to see Chase Trevor? He was brought in this morning."

"Ah, yes." The nurse pulls up something on the computer. "He's in room 606. Are you family? Because Mr. Craig Trevor is in the waiting room just down the hall."

"No, I'm not family," I say. "I'm his...friend."

The nurse smiles knowingly. "Do you want me to take you to Mr. Trevor's room? I'm going that way anyhow."

I nod and she grabs a clipboard and starts off down the hallway.

"So, Nurse...?" I trail off, not knowing who she is.

"Lea."

"Nurse Lea, do you know how Chase is?" I ask, fearing the answer. That punch was pretty hard.

"We ran some tests this morning and Mr. Trevor looks to be fine," Nurse Lea says, smiling at me as I exhale loudly. "A black eye, but that should heal up pretty quickly. He does have a concussion though - that was a nasty punch." Don't I know it. She continues. "Dr. Fern put him on some pain meds, which'll make him tired, but take care of discomfort."

I smile. I like this nurse. "Thank you so much, Nurse Lea."

"Anytime," she says. "Here we are."

I turn to look at my dad. "You go ahead," he says. "I'll give you two some time."

I smile. I know exactly what he's up to. In about two minutes, he and this nurse are going to be grabbing coffee. I saw my dad's face as soon as we walked in. It was absolutely glowing.

Nurse Lea opens the door for me. "Mr. Trevor is lucky to have a girlfriend like you." And before I can even process the comment, she closes the door, my dad at her side, and I'm left with Chase, who's sleeping even through all the beeping monitors.

As soon as I see him I break down. I can't help it. All he did was try to protect me, and he's the one who got hurt.

I sit gingerly on the edge of his bed, trying not to wake him up, and take his hand. "I know you're asleep, but thank you, Chase Trevor. Thank you for being there for me, always, even before you were my boyfriend. I love you so much. Don't ever scare me like that again." I wipe my tears away and take a breath. Then I hear the best thing in the world: Chase's voice.

"I'm not going anywhere, Ace," he says, opening his eye - the only one he can open because his black eye is swelled shut - with a smile.

"Chase? Chase!" I yell and hug him. We sit there in silence, enjoying the fact that we're together. After a few minutes, though, I have a question.

"Ace?" I ask, laughing. "What the hell does that mean?"

"You know, like number one, excels at everything," he responds. "What, you don't like your new nickname? Babe was too basic for you."

"Well thank you," I say, trying to be chivalrous.

I kiss his injured but still and always beautiful face. "I'm so glad you're okay."

"Me too,"Chase says. "I just got you, how could I leave you that fast?"

I laugh at his stupid joke. "You're weird."

"You love it."

"You have me there," I say. "You have me anyway."

Chase smiles and kissing my hand with his swollen lips. "Good to know you aren't going anywhere."

"You couldn't drag me away."

~