36.) Dance Like Juilliard's Watching

"Okay, I think that's everything," I say, stuffing the last of my things into a third suitcase. Packing for college was a bigger task than I thought it was going to be, and now here I am with three huge suitcases plus a carry-on bag ready for my flight to New York City.

Dad checks his watch, not meeting my eyes. "We should get you to the airport then." He takes one of the suitcases, and Lea comes in behind him and grabs the second, leaving me with the third. I roll it to the doorway and take one last look at my childhood room before starting college somewhere completely new. I close the door behind me, and it makes the room echo, sounding empty.

The drive to the airport was utterly silent. Chase and his dad drove out to New York a few days ago, and Chase took my car for me while his dad took Chase's car. As I was leaving Chicago, Chase's dad would be on the flight back.

"This is me," I say as Dad pulls up to the curb. He and Lea get out of the car and come inside with me, checking my bags and walking me as far as they could.

"Have fun," Lea says, hugging me tightly. "See you for Thanksgiving."

"I can't wait," I say, smiling. Turning to Dad, I see his eyes shining. "Oh, Dad! Please don't cry!"

"I can't help it!" He says, half laughing, half crying. "My baby girl is going to college a whole twelve hours away! What am I going to do?"

"Aw, Dad." I give him a great big bear-hug, and he holds me like he's never going to see me again. "I'll call you as often as I can. Don't forget, Chase will be out there with me. And Aunt Lydia is just in Manhattan, so call her when you need her okay?"

"Okay Dad. I will. I love you."

"I love you too," he whispers, giving me one last kiss on the head. He holds my hand as I start to walk away from him, and keeps holding on until I'm out of reach.

I almost have to force myself to walk away, not sure if I can handle turning around to see their faces. But I do, and when I see them waving, I can feel the love and happiness radiating from them.

Once I get to my gate, I text Chase.

Me- Hi love. Flight leaves soon. I'll be in NY by six.

Chase- I can't wait. You ready?

Me- I hope so.

Chase- You are. I know it. You've been waiting your whole life for this, and if anyone can do it, it's you.

Me- Then yeah. As long as I have you, I can do this. I can dance like Juilliard's watching.

Chase- Knowing how amazing you are, I don't see how anyone will be able to look away.

~