17.) Identifying The Enemy

"Any of these?" A female detective asks me. Her name tag says Detective Lindsay. She spreads out a few pages on the table.

I study the pictures in front of me. None of them look like what I remember of the driver. "No," I sigh. "I'm sorry."

The door opens. "Erin?" A man says. His voice is deep and raspy, and his eyes never seem to miss anything.

"Yeah, Voight?"

"Halstead says he needs to talk to you."

"Got it." The door closes and the man - Voight - disappears as Detective Lindsay turns back to me. "I'll be right back, okay?"

I nod and she shares a look with my dad - who was standing in the corner of the room - before slipping out the door.

"You okay?" Dad asks.

I sigh and lean back in my chair. "We've been doing this for over an hour," I say, rubbing my eyes, "and no matches have been made."

"It's okay," Dad says, sitting at the table with me. "No one expects you to know exactly what that manic looked like. It's not a crime if you can't remember."

I nod and Detective Lindsay comes back into the room. "Jessabelle, I'm sorry, but I have to run. We'll get you together with a sketch artist between Thanksgiving and Christmas, and maybe that will help you out."

"Thanks," I respond, and she nods, pulling on a winter jacket and saying goodbye. Dad and I leave the police station and go home. My phone dings a moment after we get thought the door.

Chase- Anything??

Me- Nope. They're having me go to a sketch artist after Thanksgiving.

Chase- I'm sorry 💙

Me- Eh, it's okay. Bright side? Arizona tomorrow!

Chase- 😂😂😂

Chase- Our flight leaves at 6:07 PM, so we'll probably head out straight from school. Is that cool with your dad?

Me- Yep, already checked. Although, not packed yet though.

Chase- Go pack you weirdo 😂

Me- Fine, if I have to 😂 Love you

Chase- Love you too

~