21.) Finding A Match

"Jessabelle, do you know anyone who looks like this man?" Detective Lindsay asks me.

"Yesterday I was at my boyfriend's mother's house for Thanksgiving. She had her boyfriend - significant other, whatever you want to call it - over too, and he looked exactly like this. His name was Riker Davies."

"Run it through the system," Detective Lindsay says to her partner, a man named Jay Halstead. He runs in into a computer, and the screen flashes.

"No matches?" I blurt out. "How is that possible?"

"Try running the sketch. See if we get a facial recognition match," Detective Lindsay says.

Detective Halstead takes the sketch from Keith, and photocopies it. Then, he runs it through a scanner that's hooked up to a computer. After what seems like a million minutes, he clicks through a few things and turns the monitor around.

"Is this him?"

"Yes. I'm absolutely sure."

Lindsay and Halstead share a look, and I can't read their expressions. Finally, Detective Lindsay looks back to me.

"Jessabelle, this man's name isn't Riker Davies. This is Jacob Greene."

"What?" I sputter. "That can't be right! I know that that's him."

"Hold up," Detective Halstead says. "Erin, six more matches were just made."

"What?" She joins him around the computer, the monitor facing away from me. "That's...impossible!"

They go through a couple of cases and files before Detective Lindsay turns to me, Detective Halstead leaning against the filing cabinet.

"Jessabelle," she says. "It looks like this man has been assuming other identities for over five years. He isn't what he seems, and he sure as hell has more charges than the one against you."

Her next words sent chills to my brain: "This is the most wanted perp in all of Illinois. And you just cracked his case wide open."

~