Chapter 8 (21st of Iecanaon in the year 6199)

Start from the beginning

General Kayzar drew his weapon. "Why you little-" The black blade cut through the air as though it was burning like molten rock meeting water. "How dare you come in here and make demands!"

Cassandra braced herself, both her own weapons into their respective hands. "If it's a fight you want, then let's have at it. I've wanted another shot at you ever since you tried to have me killed last spring."

"If you attack me here and now, you won't leave alive."

Cassandra took a second to look at the others in the chamber. "And who will carry out that threat? These miserable slobs?" She pointed her weapons at each man, still not recovered from the shock of her entrance. "Don't make me laugh. Where's your personal guard at by the way? Off having a tea party?"

"I don't need them."

Cassandra thought she heard the General's knuckles crack as they tightened around his weapon's hilt. "You're right." She smiled. "You'll need far better than them. You have one hour to get my prisoner back in The Vault. If he's not returned, unharmed beyond the harm I've already done to him, all the soldiers under your command won't be able to save you." She backed up, her mind processing possible threats as several of General Kayzar's men finally seemed to gather enough of their wits about them.

"You're dead, Nightwing!" Kayzar's fist nearly splinted the table as he slammed his gauntleted fist down. "Do you hear me! Dead!"

"Don't step on my territory, Kayzar. You had your chance with the rebels before I came along, and you blew it. Lord Hedric isn't stupid. He knows that you've passed your usefulness to him. After I use the Dragon Ships to take down King Turon and bring Fimmirra to its knees, I'll come for what's left of your command." Stopping in the doorway, Cassandra admired her handiwork. "You'd better get that fixed." She sheathed her swords, smiled, and disappeared back down the corridor.

At her exit, General Kayzar rammed his fist into the table again.

"Sir?" Having recovered, one of his advisors approached with obvious tentativeness and spoke, seeking orders.

When he was within range, General Kayzar lashed out and caught the man by the throat; lifting him a full foot off the floor. "I want her dealt with." There wasn't even the appearance that the words were anything less than an absolute demand, and the choking man he held could not respond. "Give her back her precious rebel assassin. For now."

With that, the general dropped the soldier and allowed him to wallow on the floor and regain his breath. Another spoke, stepping forward with even more reluctance. "How? General Nightwing has informants everywhere. She knows our every move it seems. We've tried planning her assassination many times, but she always thwarts it."

There was a deep, almost inhuman growl from beneath the General's helm. "Any word from that worm I sent to find Halond and Brucar?" Kayzar retook his seat and muttered something unintelligible to himself. This was the last straw. Cassandra had become too bold; too much of a threat. He would not stand for that.

"Not yet, sir."

As if on cue, a palace messenger in his green and black uniform stood where the door once had. He stopped there, trying to sort out what he was witnessing between the empty doorway and the disarray the war room was in.

"What is it?" The roar of General Kayzar was not the least bit pleasant to hear.

"Uh- This message just came for you, General Kayzar, sir." The paper gripped in his hand was a neatly folded square. Black thread wound along both lengths and black wax sealed the note shut. "It is from one of your spies."

General Kayzar returned to his seat and held out an impatient hand. The messenger delivered it, although he was quick to step back out of the way. Opening the letter, the news it contained was only further insult to already suffered injury.

The note was only a few short lines: Tracked Brucar and Halond to Kannas. Brucar dead. Halond missing. Whereabouts of the cleric, unknown.