Helping Parker

Peter POV

     I had only seen the little boy a few times, so I am not surprised he didn't recognize me.  He hadn't told me his name during his story but I remembered Damon naming him Parker.  It's been about three years since I have seen him.  He would have just turned six.  Last year when I saw his dad we had discussed emergency situations. As we always agreed if anything happens to us we would support each other's pack. 

     This was a big commitment for both of us.  Since  I am unmated he would be Alpha of my pack.  But since he had Jeremy, I was committing to raise his children and teach him to be Alpha of the pack.  Its hard to be Alpha at 19.  It would be even harder to be Alpha as a child. 

      Being Alpha always passes from father to the eldest child.  If for whatever reason they are not capable of claiming the title or they refuse it passes to the next child.  Alphas learn who they are and train begin training about age ten. But if all leadership has left the pack then it pass to the heir before they are ready.  Unfortunately this happened to Parker which means many things he should have experienced as a carefree child he might miss.  Hopefully as part of my pack he will still get to play and be a child. 

     With a heavy heart I go upstairs to my room, first stopping by Charity's room.  I peek my head in and sniff.  The slow even breathing tells me they are both sleeping.  In my room, I set my clock and doze.  There are just too many questions for restful sleep. 

------------------------

      I must have fallen asleep because I to someone sitting on my chest.  Sniffing before I even open my eyes I recognize Hope's scent.  I can hear Charity trying to muffle her giggles as Hope crawls across me. 

     Opening my eyes, I smile, "This is a pleasant way to wake up."  She looks a bit relieved; as though she isn't sure I would want them here.  Cradling Hope I sit up and pat the bed next to.  "Sweetheart, you can come to me any time you like, unless I am in the shower.  I don't think I could stop myself if both of us were wet and naked. And Hope is a part of the family,  she is always welcome."  Her eyes show how relieved she is and I add, "Eventually, after we mate I would also like to adopt her. "    Charity jumps as the alarm goes off.  She looks guilty but I said, "Its OK I set it so I could talk to you today before you see everyone.  Hold on though, before we talk I need to use it." 

     Laying Hope on the bed I quickly use the bathroom and brush my teeth.  Returning I see Charity playing peek-a-boo with my sheets.  Hope pushes the sheets aside and Charity says, "Boo," Hope giggles and falls over.  She then pushes herself up to do it again.  Walking over, I sit down and watch them play for a moment.  Charity looks at me and can tell I am ready she puts Hope on the floor to crawl around and then holds my hand. 

     I told her about Damon and the promise we had made to each other.  Charity kept rubbing my hand each time I paused to remember my friend.  I explained about the run last night and how seven children had been on the drive to the house.  She gasped and tears welled up in her eyes at my explanation.  Right then,  I felt a tug at my foot.  Looking down at Hope I see she is lifting her arms to me.  I pick her up, and reach for Charity again.  "I promised my friend to look after his pack. Also two of the kids are his.  I know  you are learning a lot about us.  You should never have been a mother so young.  Normally this decision would have been made with you included, but its too  late for that now." 

 __________________________

Charity

     He wouldn't stop rambling and I could tell he was nervous.  Then he started talking about my age and being a mom.  I suddenly realized he promised to keep the children.  Peter was scared that I wouldn't want any more.