Three ways to Change Katie

The first thing I did after school was hug Hope.  Usually I pick her up about 5:30 after homework and training but after talking to those detectives I couldn't stand to be away from her any longer.  We went to the kitchen for snack.  After I had been here a month I started making afternoon snack for the children. We gather in the yard or kitchen and have a light snack.  Most of the younger ones had just gotten up from nap.  The school age kids help with the little ones.  We talk about anything they want.  I noticed most of the time children's conversations change topic very quickly so it always seems to be very random.  The older ones stay on topic longer as long as they are interested. 

     After snack we go to training so I take Hope back to day care.  In the spring I will bring her to training occasionally just so I have the practice of her being with me if I am attacked.  For right now though I need to learn the basics.  Still I am getting better every day. 

     After training I get Hope and look for Peter.  I look in all the usual places but can't find him.  I find Mary and ask her.   She glances off and then smiles. 

     "He is out running patrol.  He said to tell you he is almost done."

     "Alright thanks. Can we talk?" 

     "Sure anything in particular, or about my brother?"  She asks with a mischievous smile.    

     "Well, I was hoping," I say nervously, "I wanted to know about changing and what it feels like and everything." 

     "Sure, but you should know its different as a child and being turned." 

     I nodded, "I know but Peter told me not until after I am eighteen and I think the anticipation is going to kill me."

     "Alright, lets go downstairs, Hope can play, we can talk.  I can also introduce you to Katie, Walt, and Sam.  They were all human at some point.  It will probably help you to hear their perspective."

******

     After settling Hope near me on the carpet a woman comes over and sits near us.

     "Mary said you have questions about changing."

     Nodding I said, "Yeah I am kind of nervous.  It sounds complicated unless you have already done it."  

     "Yes, I can see where that makes sense.  OK, so there are three types of changed were.  The first is someone who is changed by their mate.  They are bitten during sex, more specifically during orgasm. That's how I became were.  It's not an immediate change.  It happens gradually, between full moons. Because you choose it your body adapts to the changes but it takes the full cycle of the moon.  Usually your mate is also there when you change.  They help you remain calm and prevent you from fighting the change.  Fighting your body while it changes makes it more difficult but because it will change any way it is also very painful."

     "Your mate did this to you?  Did he ask first?  Can you be mates and not be changed?"  I was so surprised I actually ran all three together before she could answer one.

     "I grew up around were.  Some of my childhood freinds were from here.  So I had grown up around them and knew some of what it meant.  Yes, Drake asked me several times before I said yes.  I had dated a few times, bad relationships.  I had to be sure he wouldn't treat me like them and break my heart.  It was about six months before I let him change me but unlike most who are intimate before they mate, I wouldn't have sex either.  I mostly thought that was all he wanted.  But we always stopped at kissing.  Drake never made me feel guitly or trapped.  I could tell that I was most important to him."