Chapter 8: A Wedding Massacre

                Under much protesting, we let Mia take Annessa for a few hours the next day. She claimed it was so we could finish our packing and the small list of business around Court, but I knew it was to say goodbye. I couldn’t blame her; it’d only been a few days and the girl had stolen our hearts. I still couldn’t believe they were letting us take her.

                Mia picked up Annessa halfway through the night, toting her off to do whatever that girl wanted. Mia claimed she’d be spoiling her rotten and hyping her up on as much sugar as possible. Oh joy.

                Annessa readily went into her arms, already babbling about the adventures with us and our “vacation.” Mia’s eyes hardened at the mention of it, but she played along; she could never hurt our little girl.

                To our surprise, Eddie met us on Mia’s doorstep as Dimitri and I were leaving.

“You guys didn’t have plans for the day, did you?” he grinned, holding up a white envelope.

                My brow furrowed as I recognized the Royal Red seal, but neither of us dared touch the paper.

“Actually,” Dimitri began, side-stepping Eddie and pulling me with. “We did. We have things to do if we’re supposed to be out of here by tomorrow morning.”

“Queen’s orders,” Eddie sighed, extending the envelope again.

                I stopped Dimitri and our eyes met. His were sharp with warning; we didn’t have time for this.

“Rose,” Eddie said, impatience clear now. “I’ve gotta get back.”

                Dimitri took the envelope from him, his eyes softening to a friendly warmth. “Thank you.”

                Eddie nodded. “See you at the airport tomorrow?”                                                                                                                        

                I smiled sadly. “Yeah. Make sure Cassie’s there?”

                He grinned, “I wouldn’t let her miss it for the world. Who knows when our Bonnie and Clyde will be home again?”

                Dimitri and I tried our best to laugh, but the awkwardness won out as Eddie quickly escaped back to his car. Dimitri handed me the envelope, the paper scalding my fingers. I didn’t want to deal with this; we’d been doing such a great job of avoiding it and the Queen.

“We don’t have to go,” Dimitri reminded gently, a warm hand tilting my chin up. “I’m sure Mia’s got a lighter. We could always just burn it.”

                I smiled weakly and shook my head. God, I loved him.

                Reluctantly, I tore the paper with my finger, unfolding the letter inside.

Guardian Belikov –

                The case file is laid out in Conference Room 304B.

Queen Vasilisa Sabina Rhea Dragomir-Ozera

                Now, I actually, truly laughed.