Chapter 17: Surprise Guests

                I could taste the salty air of the seashore; felt it wind its way through my dark hair and over my tan skin. It caressed my body and made me float in the summer sunshine. It took my breath away.

“Roza…”

                The breeze sighed my name in a whisper so full of pain I felt it echo down to my very bones.

“Roza…”

                My throat tightened as the word lost itself in the crashing waves.

                Suddenly, the sun wasn’t kissing me; it was scorching me, burning every cell it could find. It worked to turn me to ash, fiery heat that couldn’t be subdued; it fought like it had a reason to. It fought like it wanted revenge.

                I screamed, but the fire drowned me in its lethal embrace.

“Rose?!” Mia yelled, her hand smacking against my face. “Rose!”

                My forehead banged against her hand again as I sat up, breathing hard. It was a dream; just a dream. Then why had the voice sounded so familiar?

                I gulped, trying to catch my breath as I fidgeting underneath the seatbelt. It pulled my sleeves down as I tried to hide myself from a sun that wasn’t really there.

“Are you okay?” Mia pressed, voice gentler as she continued to steer the car down the desolate road. “You looked like you were in pain.”

“I’m fine,” I flinched and looked out the window; the sun was just beginning to peek over the desert horizon.

“Doesn’t look like it,” she answered, but went quiet again. The radio buzzed with static, distorting the music as we sat in silence. It was just a dream.

                We remained that way for another few miles, both of us lost in our own heads. I tried not to stare at the sun, but curiosity won out over sensibility. My eyes flickered to the blinding reds and oranges, watching the beams of light split the cool sky in half with their heat. They raced over the desert’s sandy blanket, touching the hood of the car and searing my eyes as we sped towards the inferno.

                City lights peeked in the distance and Mia’s gaze flashed to the time.

“We’re stopping for gas,” she announced, no room for debate in her tone. I nodded dismissively and fought to rid the idea that this sun was going to try to roast me, too.

                She pulled into the gas station, going to a stall near the store instead of a pump. I blinked in surprise, my Guardian alertness rising. We were supposed to be getting gas… which we’d gotten less than an hour ago.

“Mia, what’s going on?” I said quietly, my hand automatically going to the stake tucked neatly against my side.

                She couldn’t hide her smirk as she said, “Turn around and see.”

                With a hand still on my stake, I slowly spun my head, my breath stopped in my throat.

“What the hell, Mia,” I growled as my eyes landed on a blonde Dhampir peering out the gas station doors. She checked her watch and played with her hair, one hand always on her hip and the slight bulge of a stake that rested there. She wore all black, with a leather jacket that should have still been in my closet at Court. Then again, this girl should’ve been at Court, too, planning her wedding.

“We needed reinforcements,” she shrugged, cutting the engine. “She was meeting Dimitri and me either way. You’re the one who’s not supposed to be here, remember?”

                I glared at Mia, unbuckling myself and climbing out of the car. “She shouldn’t be here,” I said quietly while Mia came around to my side.

“Neither should we,” she retorted and locked the car.

                We walked up to the gas station, the girl’s eyes flashing to us with excitement. To my surprise, she called over her shoulder, and a guy came to her side. A guy, who like the jacket, should’ve been back at Court.

                Mia’s sly smirk turned into a scowl as we opened the doors.

“Cassie, you weren’t supposed to bring any surprise guests,” Mia scolded, stepping back from the hug that Eddie tried to pull her into.

                Cassie rolled her eyes, but wrapped an arm around my shoulders. “Neither were you. Guess we’re even.”

“Touché,” I smirked at Mia as I hugged Cassie. Even if she shouldn’t have been here, I couldn’t stop myself from being thankful she was. I needed her strength now that I’d given up Dimitri’s.

                Cassie squeezed me and I already knew she understood; me coming with Mia could only mean one thing. It was the same reason she’d brought Eddie with her; this was where he belonged, just like Dimitri did with Annessa.

                She released me, pulling playfully on my ponytail.

“Let’s go catch a princess, huh?” Eddie grinned, his arm snaking around Cassie and I as Mia pouted with her arms crossed.

“We need a plan first,” I said, shoving his arm away.

“Because that worked so well this time,” Mia snorted, tossing Eddie the car keys. “Leave yours. I’m sure Her Highness put a tail on it already.”

                Cassie and Eddie exchanged a look, their eyes shifting to me a moment later.

                I frowned instantly, regretting the day I’d given Cassie a set of keys to my house and, therefore, the SUV ones on a hook by the garage door. “You didn’t.”

“We couldn’t use ours!” Cassie shrugged as we headed back towards Mia’s hatchback.

                I rolled my eyes and climbed into the backseat, where Cassie joined me. I figured Mia would want to continue playing leader of this expedition; she could ride shotgun all the wanted.

                Eddie revved the engine while we buckled up, and I couldn’t help but look at his smile in the rearview. Despite this, he looked happy; he was still one of my best friends, even after all the years, and he’d chosen one of my other friends to marry. They were like the perfect sidekick couple.

                I laughed to myself and looked out the window.

                The only thing Cassie and Eddie would be kicking was Jill’s spoiled, tiara-wearing ass.