Chapter 26: Silly Games

"That isn't good enough!"

The Queen's shrill screech echoed across her office, causing even the stolid Guardians to blink in surprise. She paced behind her desk, green eyes glaring at her audience as she tried, once again, to find the truth in what had happened in that Strigoi club. No one was talking; we were sick of repeating the story for her.

It'd been months since Jill's newest case was closed. She was being locked up at Court, much to my surprise, but Mia said it was so they could keep a closer eye on the Moroi world's favorite convict. That wasn't enough for the Queen though; she needed details. She needed the answers we could give and that Jill wouldn't.

Cassie, Mia, Eddie, and I sat in uncomfortable chairs before her desk. She'd cornered us while Dimitri was out taking Annessa shopping for new furniture for her bedroom. I knew it'd been intentional; he was still the only person she'd occasionally take orders from. She couldn't accomplish anything with him in the room for everyone else to draw strength from.

"I know you know," she repeated, pausing behind her chair. Her eyes bored into me as she took her seat again, folding her hands on the mountain of paperwork spread across the once pristine desktop. "Guardian Belikov – it's what caused your breakdown, isn't it? The head of this Strigoi cult? What did she do to you?"

Eddie cleared his throat to save me from answering.

I didn't think it possible, but her glare hardened.

"I don't think we're supposed to be discussing this, Your Highness," he said timidly. "With all respect. The lawyer said–"

"Your lawyer is none of my concern," she interrupted. "I need a name. You are impeding Official Guardian Security matters, and I am sick of your silly psyche ward games." Her gaze was on me as she finished, a cruel smirk on her lips. I had learned a long time ago to tune her out; her jibes didn't bother me like she thought. "Rose – who is it?"

"I told you everything I know," I answered, forcing the words passed my lips.

"But you didn't," she countered, her eyes focusing around me. I knew the look; she was trying to read my aura and I knew she was getting all the fear, hatred, and depression that had become my soul lately. I also knew she didn't give a damn about it; she only wanted her name. "I've always known when you were lying, Guardian Belikov. I promise you protection if–"

"Your protection is worthless!" I spat back. A fire was flickering inside me in a place I thought had long since turned into an arctic wasteland; she was just so infuriating, I couldn't help it. I sat up a little straighter, meeting her death stare with one of my own. She may have been Queen, but I'd been the one fighting to get her there since we were kids. I couldn't remember the last time she'd thanked me for that.

Standing up, I walked to her desk, leaning down so I was on her level. The Guardians shifted warily but I wasn't there to hit her physically; I was there to remind her that she was much more than a Spirit-decayed Moroi Queen.

"Lissa," I whispered. A touch of softness entered her green eyes, turning them a light shade that I remembered from dreams of being a little girl so attached to her best friend she couldn't imagine living without her. "You wouldn't believe me if I told you."

It was gone in the next instant as she stood up and towered over me with her heels and Moroi stature.

"You will be arrested for lying under oath, Guardian Belikov," she quipped, a tiny fist banging on her desk. "You will be taken into custody and I will ensure that it happens in front of your daughter."

I could hear Eddie and Cassie's teeth gritting, but they remained in their seats. Only Mia stood up.

"Your Majesty," she said quietly, a hand on my shoulder to force me back towards my chair. "Guardian Belikov is only trying to do what's best. The master behind this organization isn't–"

"You know," the Queen snapped angrily. It was an accusation; a realization of whose side Mia was really on.

Mia blinked at her and I could see the frustration finally boiling over in her pursed lips and reddening cheeks.

Lissa's smirk returned with two simple words. "Take her."

The Guardians didn't hesitate, four of them descending on petite Mia. She wasn't fighting or protesting, but I could see the tension in her straightened shoulders. She was officially done with the Queen, just like the rest of us.

They started dragging her from the room as they lifted her easily, one reading off her accusations and the other handcuffing her tiny hands behind her back.

"Ivashkov," Eddie barked over them, his voice causing the room to freeze. Everyone stared, including me.

"What did you say?" the Queen answered, holding up her hand to pause the Guardians.

"Ivashkov," I said now, the name burning my throat as it came out. "It's Adrian Ivashkov."