Chapter 7: Stay with Me

I spent most of the day rummaging around the house, collecting items to bring with us on the road now that I knew what we'd need. We hadn't been packed for a four year tour of the world before; now, I knew what to expect and what homely goods I actually needed.

Dimitri stayed upstairs with Annessa, both of them adjusted to the vampire schedule. I still got up with the sun; it felt strange to sleep through the daylight hours, even if I'd done it for most of my life. Eventually, we'd have to wean Annessa away from it and, apparently, I'd be doing the same for Dimitri. Being on a human schedule was safer; it let us blend in better. He knew that better than I did.

I was finishing packing the assortment of wedding presents into my old office when a knock came at the front door. My eyes shot to the clock; it was one o'clock in the afternoon. All of Court was asleep at this hour.

Silently, I went down the stairs, grabbing Dimitri's stake off the entryway table. Who the hell was visiting at this time of day? My fingers twisted the door knob, stake poised as I prepared myself to beat down the monster on my front porch.

To my slight disappointment and major relief, I found Cassie bouncing on the balls of her feet with a coffee tray and bag of doughnuts.

"Are you trying to get killed?" I hissed at her as she smirked at my hasty moves to hide the stake.

"I figured you could use a midday snack," she shrugged innocently and stepped inside.

Almost immediately, her eyes snapped to the cardboard boxes and suitcases lying around the house. We were packing for real this time, now that we knew we wouldn't be coming back soon. It must've still been sinking in for her.

She headed for the dining room as I locked the door, following the smell of coffee back to her.

"You still like chocolate doughnuts?" she asked, offering the bag.

"Some things don't change," I grinned as I dug out my treat. She passed me a coffee and sat down in a chair, her eyes wandering around the dusty room again.

I sipped the steaming drink, watching her for a moment. She looked older, too, like I did; like we all did, really. This Strigoi war had been hard on everyone.

"Why are you here, Cassie?" I asked quietly, taking a bite of my doughnut.

Her eyes dropped to her coffee. "I wanted to apologize for Eddie yesterday."

"And?"

A harsh laugh fell from her lips. "And ask you to reconsider staying. Again."

I sighed in frustration. I knew they'd ask, but I'd had no idea it'd be this much. "Cassie-"

"Hear me out," she interrupted, holding up a hand to stop me. "There's my wedding. I want you in it, Rose. And what about Annessa? She should be going to kindergarten soon, not running off to tour Asia with her relatives."

"You know we can't," I said sternly. "And we'll work with her. She'll be fine; it's only a few years before she's eligible for the Academy, and then she'll be there with a new name and an even safer life than here."

Cassie snorted, "If any of you are alive until then."

My eyes narrowed with fingers tight on my cup. "I thought this was an apology, not you criticizing the decisions that have saved your life."

"Right," she let out a breath and I could practically hear her counting to ten in her head. I'd taught her the trick; it used to work for me, too. "Please, Rose. I meant it about the wedding. Eddie and I-"

"Don't want a repeat of mine," I cut in, not missing a beat.

We hadn't been to a wedding since ours and, truthfully, I never planned on going to another one, no matter who it was for. I would never be able to drop the fear that monsters would come ruin the roses again.

"It won't be," she protested, sipping her coffee calmly. "You can't keep blaming yourself for that. Please, Rose? I want you to be maid of honor."

I blanched as I took a drink, the burning liquid almost spewing back out again. "No way," I said quickly, "No way in hell."

"Rose-"

"I'll send you guys a present from wherever we end up, but I won't be walking down the aisle with you," I said, the words tumbling out as I clutched my cup. "I'm sorry, Cassie."

She nodded in defeat, her eyes on her own cup and the untouched doughnut beside it. "When are you going to stop running, Rose? You can't do this forever."

I frowned, but I knew a long time ago that the day would come when Dimitri and I would have to stop. We would be badass Guardians all our lives, but we'd need a break one day. I just hoped that was very far into the future.

"When they're all dead," I answered, my voice almost inaudible. "We'll stop when they're all dead."