Chapter 20: Breathe

Chapter 20: Breathe

I couldn't breathe.

The thick air of the club stuck in my throat, drowning me in the stench of cigarettes and Strigoi blood. It clung to my lungs and filled them with oxygen so rotten it could've been poison; my chest heaved with the labored effort of simply taking it in.

I couldn't breathe.

Cassie stood at my side, her lingerie torn to shreds in the battles of the last two hours. She was caked in blood and stained with alcohol; she looked like a complete disaster. Mia and Eddie looked the same, though they got to ruin their street clothes instead of a costume borrowed from the depths of stripper hell. And then there was me.

I was the worst off by far with my blonde hair dyed a sickly shade of maroon and Eddie's jacket wrapped around me because my clothes had been lost somewhere between restraining Jill and watching a Strigoi sink its teeth into the bar's patrons' necks to create more soldiers for their war. I didn't know how much blood I'd lost, but it was enough to be in a small puddle dripping down beside my seat on the remnants of a shattered chair.

I still couldn't freaking breathe.

"Rose?" Cassie said, her voice a distant trill that echoed somewhere in the depths of my consciousness. "Rose, just hang on. Help's coming."

Her hand squeezed my shoulder and it took all my will power not to scream in complete agony at the pain that ricocheted through my entire body. Instead, I nodded and tried to keep my gaze on Mia's ripped shoes.

I couldn't bear to see the mess that was on the other side of this peaceful circle. I knew what I would find; I'd witnessed it too many times to count throughout my years of serving as a Guardian and even a novice. A mess like this was why I'd disappeared in the first place.

Why had I ever agreed to coming back?

- - -

The chair smashed into my stomach, ramming into my ribs and shoving the air from my lungs.

I growled in anger more than agony, my sharp eyes glaring at the person wielding the stupid weapon. I'd never known her to have so much strength; I was surprised she'd been able to keep it up with how many obvious bite marks she displayed on her bruised neck. Then again, I should've known. She was smarter than to let her guard completely down.

"You bitch!" the words didn't sting like they once would've. They were words of a delirious girl who'd gone crazy, a girl who I was trying to save.

I threw the chair aside and rushed at her once again, ignoring the Strigoi that lunged for me. Eddie quickly disposed of him like he'd done with the last three, leaving me to corner the spoiled princess.

Jill didn't cower as she was backed against the wall. She stood proud, her costume hanging limply off her slim frame as she tried to look intimidating. There was no chance she was frightening me when all I kept seeing was a little girl with too-frizzy hair tagging along after me and Adrian at the Academy. Jill wasn't scary; she was just broken. And it was time she finally got fixed.

Without another thought, I tackled her, making sure to subdue her screeches of distress as she was thrown to the grimy tile floor.

- - -

"She's got more broken ribs than saved ones," a low voice explained. It echoed around me, swirling in and out of the dark shadows playing before my eyelids. "And her ankle's fractured, but that's to be expected with a fall like that."

"But she'll be okay?"

I didn't recognize that voice. It sounded familiar, like a dream inside a dream of a nightmare, but no face came dancing into my vision. Where was I?

"Yes," the deeper voice came, "We removed the venom from her bite marks and your magic did the rest. She will make a full recovery, Your Highness."

My eyes snapped open without my authorization, frantically searching the room around me. That voice was a nightmare; it belonged to a witch who'd destroyed my life all because she wanted to save her face in the papers. She stole my happy ending, my husband, my sister-in-law; she'd taken everything from me.

I started screaming as loudly as I could, and I didn't find the will to stop myself.

A/N: I'm sorry this update took so long; graduating high school and a promotion to manager at my job have had me swamped with studying and training as I tried to figure out where I wanted to take this story. I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who has been reading and leaving comments; you're all very loved and appreciated and your support gives me confidence as I continue forward.

Here's to a summer of (hopefully!) regular updates as I finish this piece of my fanfiction saga. Thanks again!

xoxo

LA