Soft Gazes

It felt borderline impossible to bite back any more retorts about how searing the pain was but somehow I managed. I tried to shrug off what I must have imagined his response was.

 I felt dizzy for a few moments after but eventually, the burning subsided enough for me to relax.

His cold hands left mine and I didn't even know how to feel about it all, it felt oddly intimate for someone I had so much hatred for. I snapped back to reality when the voice of Frigga echoed out, "Well done, you achieved that quite effortlessly son" 

I watched him with curious eyes as he looked at her and somewhat of a smile took on his features with a sense of pride radiating off of him as he seemed to sit straighter. Not a snarl or snobby remark, but a gentle smile I'd think he was never capable of bearing. I froze when his pupils flickered back to me sharply,

 and I looked down at my hands quickly as though he would just vanish if I did so. 

My eyes widened to find not a single scar in sight on my skin as I turned my palms over in awe. Had he really just healed me completely? not even a mark left?

Gods how I wish all wounds healed that way, I cant say that was the only wound I expected to scar, my back is a battle field of them.

 "I hope that burning has lessened for you now Arawn" I heard Frigga's airy but gentle voice come from behind me after a beat of silence, I carefully stood despite the chair squeaking cringingly loud where I grit my teeth. I turned to face her and hung my head in respects, hands clasped at my front, "yes all mother, much better thank you"

"I believe it is my son to be thanked" I peered up at her soft smile, eyes glimmering.

I fought to not purse my lips. Slowly I turned to face him, looking down at a sly grin sent back up at me.

"Thank you prince Loki for healing me" I bit out.

"You're most certainly welcome" I could hear the cockiness in every word of it,

 "Loki dear I assume you will be here for a while longer, my only further request is that you keep an eye out for that book I requested you search for the other day"

"Yes mother" 

"be well then, both of you" I kept my eyes to the worn oak floor as her steps faded somewhere in the distance behind me followed by as soft creak and thud of the large door. I allowed my lungs to draw in a deep breath, the place smelt of old paper and a familiar musty scent that wasn't quite clean but was not too unpleasant either.

But as quickly as relief sunk into my shoulders it fled from my body not a moment later.

We were now alone once more.

My eyes shot up and I took two steps back stumbling over the chair when his narrowed eyes met mine again from the other side of the desk. "Oh relax would you?" He dared to snap rolling his shoulders before straightening out and standing up to that stupidly tall height. "Will you kill me?" my voice wavered just above a whisper my eyes were narrowed now, I was playing a dangerous game here. 

Sure I could shape shift and morph into what I so pleased and lift things with enough mental strength but something told me I was no match for him. I was in fact no match for a god. The books surrounding us held far more than I was capable of understanding and Loki was the type to read day in and day out it seemed.