Pressured Decisions

Odin sat with his staff clutched in one hand loosely.  The sound of his voice boomed and echoed off of the surrounding pillars that stood a million times higher than me and any other being nearby. 

Part of me feared it would collapse and crush me, but as quickly as the thought came- it left. I had much more pressing matters at hand.

I hid a quick gulp as his judgmental eye drew downward at me making me feel weak and small, I suppose I really was from the angle we were both at. I always thought of him as a bit of a power tripper, he enjoyed ruling I could see that much.  But If I was in his position I'd also probably be a bit of an unsavoury ruler, I mean imagine with the flick of your hand you could do just about anything you wanted with a land all yours to own!

His sons must be eager for the throne, I know I would be,

But I was here for something entirely less grand, 

Maids were just here to assist the royals with their daily needs so I technically shouldn't feel any special being here, at least I didn't feel all that important, I was just another contestant. 

"tell me, why do you wish to serve either of my sons?" the all-father questioned,

I inhaled through my nose before I spoke my lines, lines I had repeated incase a question like this arose,

 "I see myself fit for the duty of tending to a god with an understanding that they are of utmost importance. A god under the all father and all mother shall be treated with respect to the highest degree and to be tended to in every way. I feel that I am capable of following the guidelines and requirements to be an excellent servant fit for this role and that my care and time will be devoted to either of your sons."

My voice was surprisingly steady and managed to bounce off of the walls in a bit of an echo as Odin's did prior.  I watched carefully as he glanced to a woman at his side, I snuck a glance to my right to see the most recent maid in line at the door feeling rather far from my current post. Her eyes were wide as she glanced been the All father and me with pursed lips. She looked as pale as a ghost and ready to run as fast as she could away from here.

My attention quickly flittered back to ahead of me as I heard a hum from the all father, his elbow pressed against the thrones rest and fingers against his white beard. His eye narrowed in thought, I glanced slightly to the side of him to meet Frigga's eyes her hair done in an elegant up do. She was standing and not sitting, but I could see she was looking at me intently.

She was a stark contrast from Odin who seemed to radiate cold and emotionless rhythm's, Frigga seemed warm and welcoming as though I could fall and she would be the first to aid me.

"Who would you prefer to tend to?"

The question stumped me. I blanked actually. My mouth quickly dried up as my brain fought for words but nothing was coming to mind. I hadn't anticipated a question so blatantly forward, I was told I wasn't to choose who I was to serve and to not put bias between either god or I'd loose the opportunity to serve all-together. I blinked and fought for some kind of answer that wouldn't set me wrong,

"I-"

It was then that a door behind me opened.