Unfriendly you, Unfriendly I

I, along with who appeared to be the other chosen maids lined up against the corridor wall in a separate space to the hall we were just in. Large grand windows parallel us as the sunlight caught across the shiny marble floors. I had to stop myself from checking my reflection in awe at how clean and expensive everything around me was. I was never lucky enough to see grand marble such as this let alone stand on it!

 There were three of us so far, hinting that the last maid was yet to be chosen so I assume that's why we were currently waiting for the next instruction to be given,

I was standing next to a woman just a bit shorter than I, she had fair skin and surprisingly very vibrant chestnut hair with fiery red undertones it was done up in a high bun pulled tight against her scalp. Though despite her best efforts little hairs were starting to frey out around her hairline. She was fiddling with her fingers in front of her white and baby blue accented dress that just swept off before the floor. 

Guards stood situated at their posts wordlessly as we all waited in silence, "Sorry I know we probably are not meant to speak at this time but I had to ask are you nervous too?" I met her blue eyes as she looked up at me with a questioning look. Her voice was light and shaky as she spoke to me so I threw a soft smile her way, "yes a little bit" I admitted.

It wasn't a lie, I was somehow worried Odin himself would stride back in here to undo his decision or to tell me it was all a jest and that I'd never actually serve under him and his sons. 

Her shoulders slumped as a relieved smile crossed her features "Thank the gods, I thought I was the only one" She seemed suddenly much more at ease and I shook my head "certainly not, there were plenty in line as anxious as you and I" 

She nodded and looked out the windows in front of us the view just from here was incredible. We could see almost all of Asgard and the village below an occasional bird passing by. "I'm Thyra by the way" She murmured 

"Arawn" 

She frowned momentarily before looking back up at me "Thats a pretty name, it sort of sounds like dawn or fawn" I chuckled lightly, knowing full well my mother had always loved fawns and their innocence. "Thank you, your name is lovely too, I knew a young girl by the name of Iyra so it rhyme's with yours"

She smiled lightly "Is she a sister of yours?". I smiled solemnly "no, unfortunately not but she was a great friend and I do have a brother" It was hard to push back memories that itched to resurface. I also had to keep myself composed with prying questions, I'd often forget I was not born within Asgardian territory.

If someone were to find out I fear all of this would be for nothing and my family would be in great danger of Odin's wrath. It was enough of a risk that I was standing here now, but my family needed the support and I needed to keep busy before I found my own means to uncovering my secret to some stranger that could rat me out. It seemed at least a little better to blend in to such a place you would not expect to find a young sorceress from the outskirts.

"Well she must have been wonderful and I have a sister named Olarin it was hard to say goodbye to her when coming here, I honestly did not think I would make it through"

"You and me both Thyra" she nodded and we let the silence envelop us again

I thought on Jonar for a moment I only had one sibling and he worked as a guard here, though his post would be situated somewhere beyond me, he was also not born within Asgardian walls but mother assured us he  was well trained to not use his abilities around anyone but me and her. I was anxious I could slip up, but confident Jonar would manage as he was older and wiser than I.