forty five

February 16th

"Now, where's my godson?" Sirius's familiar and welcoming voice rang throughout the house. Harry grabbed his overnight bag and ran out to greet him.

He had already let his parents know the plan, so he and Sirius left almost as quickly as he'd arrived.

Harry speedily threw his bag in the backseat of the car and got inside, trying his best not to get covered in snowflakes.

A few moments later they were back on the highway.

"What's on your mind?" Sirius questioned kindly after Harry didn't speak for several minutes.

A sigh escaped him and he took a deep breath before recounting Diggory's offer, and his conversation with his parents. Sirius was an amazing listener, taking every syllable into thought and always being as supportive as he could be. Despite his rough and outgoing persona, Sirius held a soft spot for those he held the closest and he would do anything in the world to see them happy.

"Harry, you have no reason to worry about that boy leaving you." He scoffed as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"You told us all about how mysterious and closed off he was before we met him but, quite frankly, he's far past head over heels for you now. Anyone with a brain could see that." Sirius chuckled.

Harry found himself grinning along with him at the thought of Draco's change in behavior.

A louder laugh exited Sirius.

"What?"

He cackled even more violently and it took a perplexed Harry asking "What!?" several times for him to finally speak.

"He kept the-" another fit of giggles overcame him and Harry grew restless. "He kept what?"

"He kept the condom!" Sirius wheezed and wiped at his watery eyes.

Harry inhaled so suddenly that it sent him into a coughing fit, all the while his godfather's laughing finally began to cease. "You gave him WHAT?" Harry exclaimed, nearly yelling now. His voice had to be at least two whole octaves higher.

"A condom," Sirius repeated proudly.

"No! No, no no!" Harry pulled his knees up to his chest and hid his face. "Sirius!"

"I wanted you to use protection!" Sirius's voice pitched up to match with Harry's as he raised his shoulders in defense.

Harry exhaled harshly and threw his head back. "You probably scared him to death by the look on his face."

He laughed again at this and began saying, "Oh, I wish I could've seen the lo—"

"Sirius!"

"Sorry, sorry, at least he kept it. Now we know he definitely isn't scared." He gave his godson a wink before looking up into his mirror and pulling off at the exit.

Harry raised an eyebrow in confusion.

"Harry Potter," Sirius mumbled in amused exasperation as they pulled up to a stoplight.

Green eyes blinked some more, waiting for an explanation.

"He wants to do the business."

"What?"

"He wants to jump your bones."

"You'd better be kidding–"

"He wants to shag you, Harry!" Sirius laughed out, loud enough that the people who were stopped beside them with their windows down looked absolutely appalled.

Fortunately, the light turned green, and Sirius shot them a dignified smile before speeding off in the direction of his house.

Harry, although red as a beet, appeared to be considering this.

"Well, 'spose I do too . . ." Harry said quietly.

Sirius shook his head and grinned. "Then it's a good thing I threw him the condom then, isn't it?"

"But we're still taking things slow." Harry told him, however in reality, it sounded more like a reminder to himself.

"That's okay, too. Take things your own pace, Little Prongs." His tone switched to a soft nurturing one, and Harry smiled at the nickname he had been given so long ago.

The rest of the ride was spent in a comfortable and sweet silence.

Sirius downed the last of his beer as Harry chuckled at a joke he'd just cracked. He was far beyond intoxicated.

"No he doesn't!" Harry closed his eyes and leaned back in his seat at their dinner table, still letting out soft giggles.

"I'll bet he does," Sirius laughed along with him, who was just as drunk. Remus had made the smart decision to stay sober and, well, babysit them. He could only roll his eyes fondly at them both.

Harry looked over at him and slurred, "Remus, tell him– tell him Diggory doesn't,"

"I think what you two need is some sleep," Remus responded instead, staring pointedly at the clock on the wall. It was close to midnight and the obviously very sleepy and near wasted pair showed no signs of stopping.

"We're not tired, though." Harry crossed his arms, although he could barely keep his eyes open.

"You're kidding, right?"

"Nope. Dead serious."

"Well I'm a bit tipsy, but I'm not dead," Sirius interjected.

This sent both of them into more fits of roaring laughter. Remus took that as an opportunity to grab the beer remaining on the table and put it back into their fridge.

"Bed. Now." He grabbed both of their hands.

It took some effort, but eventually he led them upstairs. He successfully dropped Harry off at one room (Not without a small "G'night, Little Prongs" from his godfather!) and brought Sirius into theirs much easier than he expected to.

Harry spending the night at their house was not an infrequent occurrence.

He had his own room completed with several changes of clothes, and even some various posters spread out across the maroon walls. It was very much like a second home to him.

He went to sleep that night wrapped up in fresh sheets. He wasn't worried about Diggory, or telling Draco, or going international—he had a relaxing night filled with laughter and family.

It was all that mattered in that moment.