Part 7: Settling in

Lapis Pov:

The faint sound of a lawnmower outside slowly wakes me up, my eyes open to the new ceiling of my temporary home, i sat up and looked around slightly, seems like Peridot's already up. I climb out of bed and grab some clean clothes from my dresser and head into the bathroom, i take a shower, get dressed and brush my teeth. Leaving the bathroom i head downstairs and into the kitchen where Pearl is already sitting eating breakfast, she looks up as i walk in "Oh, good morning Lapis, how was your first night here?" i sit down at the table and pour myself a drink "well, it was alright i suppose" she smiles slightly "ah, that's good to hear, so, were you planning on doing anything with your weekend?" i shrug as i put some food onto my plate "Not really, i was just gonna stay in my room and read" Pearl looks at me for a second "Ah, so Peridot's not bothering you with her work then?" i look at her a little confused "her work?" she nods slightly "yes, she builds those little robots of hers, did she not do that last night?" i shake my head in response, Pearl shrugs and goes back to her breakfast "huh, guess she's being quiet for once".

Once i've finished my breakfast i head back upstairs and into my room, i sit myself down on my bed and grab my book from my nightstand, opening it to the bookmarked page and resuming where i left off the night before. I spend a good few minutes reading when the door slowly opens and Peridot comes in, i look up at her briefly before returning to my book, she walks over to her desk and pulls out a box, she takes out what looks like a small spherical robot along with several parts and tools, she then starts to tinker with the robot, fiddling with wires and such. Why isn't she hanging out with Jasper? They used to be together almost all the time before i moved away, although didn't she mention she doesn't really hang around him anymore? Well she's still friends with him anyways. 

I went back to reading as Peridot continued to tinker with her little robot, though occasionally i would lose my place due to the noise of Peridot tinkering with her tools, despite trying to ignore it as best i could. After a short while i decided to give up on reading, placing the bookmark at my current page and putting the book down on my nightstand, as i did i noticed that while Peridot was working she was quietly talking to herself, i couldn't quite make out what she was saying, but i'm pretty sure it was just about her robot. I got up off my bed and headed out the door and downstairs, going out the front door and closing it behind me, i decided to take a look around since it's been a while since i've been in town, i checked on all the old stores i used to visit, like the book store, or the local pet store, where i used to just stare at all the fish in the tanks for ages, lastly, i stopped by the big donut and grabbed myself a coffee which i drank on the way back to the house, it was nice to see all the places i used to visit again, and i suppose i can start visiting them again now that i'm staying here. 

Arriving home i spent the rest of the day lying on my bed and listening to some music with my headphones, after showering and getting ready for bed  i decided to just go straight to sleep, though while i was lying there i swear i could feel that Peridot was staring at me, i shrugged the feeling off as nothing and just went to sleep. Waking up i went through the same routine as the previous day, showering, brushing my teeth, then having breakfast, after i'd done all that i headed back upstairs and into my room, grabbing my book again and resuming where i left off. At some point Peridot came in, but i didn't really notice as i was getting towards the end of my book. After a short while i finished my book and closed the cover, getting up and placing it on my shelf with my other books, on my way back to my bed i noticed Peridot's phone buzz and light up, it was a message from Jasper, crap, has she told him i'm here, though before i could think about it anymore Peridot looked down at her phone and turned it off, ignoring the message. What? she ignored it, why? maybe she was telling the truth about not hanging out with Jasper, i walked to my bed, sitting on the edge as i continued to think about what i just saw.

That night i couldn't get to sleep so i just stared at the ceiling idly, trying to think if i should ask her about whether she told jasper about me or not. After a few minutes i took a slight breath "Hey... Peridot?" i hear her covers shift slightly "u-uh yeah Lapis?" i roll onto my side slightly, facing her a little "you... you haven't told Jasper that i'm back... have you?" there's silence for a moment before she responds "no... i haven't told him... and i don't really want to either" i roll over slightly more, a little confused "You don't want to?" i faintly hear her nod her head "yes... i-i don't want to put you through having to deal with him again... i'm sure it must have been hard enough the last time... a-and honestly, i regret what i did to you, i only did it because i was scared of what Jasper would do if i didn't do what he asked me to...and, um, i just wanted to say... i'm sorry for what i did to you Lapis" i stay silent for maybe a minute, processing what Peridot just said, i roll onto my back again, staring at the ceiling "... Thank you Peridot... i appreciate your honesty" there's a brief silence before she nervously responds "u-um you're welcome Lapis" i keep staring at the ceiling until i slowly drift off.