Masamune Date Chapter 3

After our fall in the lake--

With the horse Masamune's vassals brought us, we rode back to Azuchi. We walked the rest of the way to the castle gates. What should I do about that kiss?  My feelings on it had been in constant flux.

Masamune: "All right, Mai?" It's just a one-time deal, right? I mean, the mood was right, but that doesn't mean anything. Do I want it to?  "Are you listening?"

Mai: "Whoa!" I realized Masamune had stopped and was looking directly at me. "Listening to what?"

Masamune: "Yeah, you weren't listening." Masamune rested an arm on my shoulder.

Mai: "I'm listening now." That was a lie. My attention was straying again, so close to those very nice, very kissable lips.

Masamune: "I'll explain about today to Lord Nobunaga. You just get back to your room, change into something warm, and rest. Your lips are blue." Then I guess they match you. Oh, what am I thinking!  Masamune touched my lips. His index finger clung slightly to my lower lip as he brushed it. This is not helping me forget about that kiss.

          Masamune: "Mai, smile more. You have a gorgeous smile."

I could feel my cheeks start to burn.

Mai: "What are you thinking?"

Masamune: "I'm thinking you're cold."

Mai: "No, I mean about earlier. When we were--"

Masamune: "We were what?" Masamune looked at me curiously. He's not this clueless, is he? Or is he messing with me again?

Mai: "No, never mind."

Masamune: "It sounded important, but if you say so." He laughed merrily. Again, I had no idea what he was truly thinking. It was just one kiss. If Masamune's already forgotten about it, as frustrating as that is, then maybe I should too.  I sighed and made myself breathe nice and slow. That's when I remembered--

Mai: "Oh, Masamune, thank you for the tour." Our lake adventure caused me to completely forget I'd caused him to show me more about life here.

Masamune: "Huh? Oh, that."

Mai: "You picked out a good place to take me. It's given me some things to think about."

Masamune: "To be honest, I was going to go there today anyway."

Mai: "I wondered since you had snacks packed."

Masamune: "I thought it could be fun to fulfill your request while I was doing my errands. As for your end of the bargain, it didn't leave me speechless, but I'll say we're even for now. I'm looking forward to next time though." Masamune curled a lock of my hair around his finger. Slightly damp, the strands clung to his finger like they belong there. "I've got high hopes for you." I think I've got some hopes of my own.  Rubbing a lock of my hair between his fingers, Masamune smiled a handsome, carefree smile. "See you tomorrow. Hope you don't stay cooped up in your room."

With a pat on my head, Masamune entered the castle grounds. I was alone now with my pounding heart. Maybe he hasn't forgotten about the kiss? It's Masamune. He could just be incredibly casual about it. Casual about fighting, casual about kissing. Both of those are going to take some getting used to.

------------
The next few days were busy but without incident. Our supplies of gunpowder and spears are good.

Mitsunari: "Oh, Mai. Nice to see you. Thank you for all you've been doing lately."