Chapter 35

The days following my failed weekend away with Dakota, I was miserable.

All I wanted to do was talk to him and make things right, but he wouldn't respond to my texts or my calls. And in all honesty I couldn't blame him for being upset and not wanting anything to do with me. But it still stung like a bitch knowing that I'd ruined everything between us for a five minute conversation with Dante.

"God, I'm so fucking stupid," I groaned into my hands. The phrase was becoming my new motto with how often I repeated it, usually with something being kicked or thrown across my bedroom or with me trying to rip my own hair out in frustration.

"Harley, trust me," Nathan said. I felt my bed dip from his weight as he sat down next to me. I buried my face into my pillow. "I'm with Jason. I know difficult. But you can't sit and beat yourself up like this."

"He's never going to talk to me again," I muttered into the pillow, not caring if he could hear or understand what I said.

I heard Nathan whisper, "Corian. Help."

I heard her sigh in response and I lifted my head slightly so I could clearly say, "I'm not a charity case. I'm just a selfish, useless moron."

I dropped my head back into my pillow. A moment later I felt slender fingers sifting into my hair and yanking my head back so that I was forced to roll over.

I cried out in protest and glared at Corian and noted that she looked irritated. "One," she said sternly, letting go of my hair. I rubbed my sore scalp. "Suffocating yourself isn't going to get you back in Dakota's good graces. In fact, it will actually kill you."

I scowled at her more deeply when she took my pillow away and hit me roughly over the head with it. I watched her toss it across the room. Corian crossed her arms and I saw Nathan glance at her and then quickly copy her.

I rolled my eyes. "I don't need some vigilante team ganging up on me. Look, I fucked up. I can't get back in Dakota's good graces. He doesn't want anything to do with me. Just let me wallow."

Corian huffed and sat down next to me, shoving my legs to the side to make room for her. She was about as cuddly as a cobra, and equally deadly.

"You wallowing is not only annoying, but it's boring." I glared and she ignored it. "Besides, did Dakota say that?" she demanded and then took my silence as whatever answer she wanted. "No, he didn't. He said you guys needed to take a break."

"Yeah, break up."

"God, he's an idiot," Corian said to Nathan. I gave him a warning look and he held his hands up defensively. "Harley, you just have to give him space."

I sat up, leaning my back against my headboard. I brought my knees up and rested my arms over them. "That's what I'm doing."

"For what, the last four hours?" Nathan asked. I opened my mouth to tell him to fuck off, but he interrupted me. "You only just stopped trying to call him. You've spent three days calling him every twenty minutes."

"I have not called him that many times."

"Close enough," he quipped. "And I know from experience that when your boyfriend is pissed, you back off for a while."

I squeezed my eyes shut and dropped my head down onto my arm. "I don't know how I can fix things."

Corian placed a hand on my shoulder and patted a couple times before taking it away. "When he's ready to talk, he'll reach out. Until then, you have to do exactly what he told you to."

"What?" I mumbled.

"Figure your shit out."

"I already have!" I insisted.