Chapter 28

"Uhm, Harley...?"

I sat up and looked over at Dakota. He'd just gotten off of the bed to check his phone after it buzzed about ten times in a row.

It had only been about twenty minutes since my phone conversation with Dante and I'd been freaking out on the inside ever since, worried that the word about our past relationship was flying around, because there was no way it wasn't.

When our phones had gone off like crazy a few moments ago, I'd been too scared to get up and check what was going on. Dakota was far too curious not to.

I watched him as anxiety filled my chest to the brim. The light from the phone's screen illuminated his face as he stood next to the bed, staring down at it. His bright eyes seemed to glow as they were blown wide open, but I didn't fully understand his expression.

"What is it?" I asked, unable to keep my voice from trembling.

"You're not going to believe this," Dakota said. His voice was full of shock and it only made me more nervous.

"Okay, what the fuck are people saying?" I demanded, heart pounding. "I can't take this."

Dakota finally turned his head to look at me. He held his phone out and as it passed from his fingers to mine, he said, "Nathan took a dude to prom tonight."

My jaw dropped and I shoved my face into the phone. The social app that Dakota had open was filled with pictures and short video clips of Nathan and another guy. They were holding hands in a few pictures with their backs to the camera. One of the videos was of them slow dancing with the shorter guy's face pressed to Nathan's chest. It wasn't until the fourth video that I could finally see the other guy's face and I realized I knew exactly who it was.

"Are you fucking kidding me!" I yelled, launching myself off of the bed as I stared, wide-eyed at the screen. I began to pace, not really even knowing what I was doing, but I couldn't sit still with this overload of information. I looked up and locked eyes with Dakota. "That's Andrew's brother! His fucking little brother!"

Dakota just stared at me, speechless. I resumed my frantic scrolling and muttered to myself, "There's no way. No fucking way this is real."

"Did you see the one with them kissing?"

"Fucking--what!" I screamed. I shoved the phone at him. "Find it. Show it to me."

Dakota quickly caught his phone against his chest before it fell to the ground. He typed something in and then turned it back to me. I moved closer and looked down and sure enough, Nathan was kissing Jason sweetly for all of about three seconds before they parted again. Nathan's smile after it was what had my chest exploding in warmth.

"That's the sweetest fucking thing I have ever seen in my life," I said firmly. "But what the fuck is going on?"

Dakota shrugged. "I guess we aren't the only gay guys in the closet on the team."

I sat down on the bed--well, nearly collapsed, actually. My brain was buzzing at a rate somewhere near light-speed and I couldn't make out any comprehensible thoughts.

"This is nuts," I said quietly. Dakota grabbed my hand and I glanced up at him. He had an amused smile on his face as he regarded me. "What?"

"You're so adorable right now."

I scowled. "Shut up. I can't even process this shit right now. He's my best friend. And he took our other best friend's little brother to the goddamn prom! Do you think it's a joke?"