Chapter 2

I was hardly able to do more than sulk around the house since the minute I got home last night. Avoiding Dakota had been easier than I'd originally thought when I had finally gotten around to entering the locker room. With more than twenty other guys all around, I hadn't even seen Dakota among them. I wasn't sure if that was because he'd left as soon as he could or if he was just hidden somewhere behind all of the guys.

Even when Coach Blackwell had me address the team about how it was only the first game of the season and that we could turn things around, I hadn't seen the tall, dark-haired boy. It made me just as nervous not knowing where he was as it did having to confront him.

My Saturday had gone to pieces because all I could think about was when would I run into Dakota again? And when was that asshole, Dante, going to call me? I hated admitting certain stuff to myself, but I missed him. It wasn't even just because I was horny--I wasn't at all that day, actually--but I just wanted to talk to him. I didn't want to sound too emotional, but the way he spoke was comforting, and his voice was the perfect combination of deep and gentle. It was exactly what I needed to hear when anxiety was creeping up on me.

I would die of embarrassment if anybody ever found out, but I couldn't even keep track of the times I imagined myself falling asleep to the lull of Dante's words. I didn't think it even mattered what he'd be talking about as long as he was saying something. Dare I even say it, I'd also thought about falling asleep in his arms and actually waking up in them as well. I wasn't stupid enough to think it might be a reality, but a kid has to dream sometimes, doesn't he?

I sighed for the millionth time, and blinked my eyes open to stare up at the ceiling of my bedroom. I glanced around, scanning my eyes over the walls and the vast amount of space I had in my room. That was the thing about living where we did. Wealth was just kind of there. All the houses were either nice, or huge, or nice and huge.

I kind of hated it, though. I mean, yeah, it was cool to live in an expensive house and have a giant pool in the backyard, but pretty much everybody in the surrounding cities were the exact same. Even Dante's house wasn't much different than mine. Except his parents also had a tennis court in their yard. But then again, over half of the houses in a twenty mile radius had tennis courts at their homes.

It was kind of annoying to see how a lot of people around here lived. It was like they didn't even realize how fortunate they were to have everything they did. Even my parents took it for granted. They acted like spoiled children and they were supposed to be the adults in the household. But they'd both been trust-fund babies, consequently making me one. There wasn't really anything I could do about that, except for learn from them. And then do the opposite.

I felt my phone vibrate from where it was sitting on my chest and I jumped. The black device slid off of me and I basically turned into a frantic mess of limbs as I tried to retrieve it after it fell underneath me. Once I finally got it in my hands, I glanced at the caller I.D. and frowned, disappointed. It was just my best friend, Anthony.

"Hello?" I asked into the mic. I flopped back on my bed with a sigh.

"Dude, what's up?" the other boy boomed over the phone. "What have you been doing all day?"

"Not much," I mumbled.

"Hold up. Why do you sound like that?"

I furrowed a brow. "Like what?"

"Like you're pouting or some shit," Anthony said. "Are you that beat up about losing last night? It's not that big of a deal. It's only the beginning of the season. Next week, we'll definitely crush the Vikings. They lost all their good players this year."

I rolled my eyes. "First off, I'm not pouting." Okay, that was a lie, but he didn't need to know that. "Don't be stupid. And I don't really care about the game. I just feel kind of sick today, is all."