Chapter 8

I went through a wide array of emotions over the last two weeks. I spent a good deal of time trying to stay positive and forget about all of the bullshit that was going on. After I got my ass chewed out by my coach for skipping practice last Monday, I put all of my focus on playing as hard as I could.

By the end of the week, I was so over being depressed because of what Dakota had said to me. If anything, I moved from the stage of sadness and swiftly onto anger. I mean, what kind of asshole does that to a guy? Apparently stupid Dakota with his stupid pretty eyes and perfectly sculpted face did.

I wouldn't say I necessarily had anger issues on a normal basis, but whenever I did get really upset about something, I used lacrosse to work it out. And it just so conveniently happened that Dakota was on my team. And I was slightly proud to admit that I aimed a few throws straight for him. At first nobody noticed I had hit the dark-haired boy intentionally--except for said dark-haired boy.

It wasn't really even until the third time I had hit him right in the hip during last Thursday's practice, that I was called out on it. Of course, Coach Blackwell was pissed at me. He didn't know why I was doing it. Nobody did except for Dakota. Everyone just assumed we were fighting over a girl or some dumb crap like that.

I laughed, shrugged, and smirked at Dakota while he scowled at me. Then I ran passed him and proceeded through the practice dodging and easily catching any throw the seafoam-eyed boy made at me, which I could tell only infuriated him further. To be honest, his reflexes were only marginally slower than mine, but I could anticipate his every move before he made it since we'd been teammates for ages now.

With it being finals this last week, Dante and I had been way too busy studying so that we could enjoy spring break with a clear mind. Unfortunately, that meant we hadn't seen each other at all. But he had shocked me when he called last Friday after our games--both our teams had won all the games we'd had over the last couple weeks--and invited me to spend part of spring break with his family.

He told me that they were going camping for two nights and three days at the Death Valley National Park, and that his family insisted that he invite me. It was probably the easiest, and fastest, decision I had ever made.

My mom had taken a little bit of convincing to let me go, but my dad was all for it. Actually, my dad didn't really care. He usually let me do whatever I wanted, and I used that as my leverage to get my mom to agree. In reality, the only reason she was opposed to the idea was because she thought camping was dirty and dangerous. After assuring her on numerous occasions that I swore I wouldn't step foot inside her house without being one hundred percent clean, she reluctantly allowed me to go with.

Now, it was Saturday, the first official day of spring break, and I was packing for our camping trip the next day. The sun was going to start going down soon, and my parents had left only an hour ago to have dinner and spend the night at my grandparents' house. If I didn't have to leave for the five hour trip at dawn the next morning, I would have gone with them. But as circumstance would have it, I got the house to myself for the night.

"Do you have everything?" Dante asked through the phone.

I nodded as I looked over my bags that I had laid out on my bed. "I think so. I have a variety of clothes--just like you advised in case of unexpected weather--and I--"

"You got your hiking boots?" the blue-eyed boy interrupted.

"Yes, I do. And my nikes so my mom will let me come home," I said, only partially joking.

Dante laughed. "Well, you know, if she doesn't let you back in the house, you can always crash at mine for a night. Or a while."

"Quit flirting, and finish your own packing, Williams," I retorted.