Chapter 33

"What do they really think?" Dakota asked into the phone.

I smiled and pushed my bedroom door closed. Tonight I had introduced Dakota to my parents for the first time as my boyfriend. It had been awkward, but ultimately it was a very successful night.

After the altercation between Dante and me at that party, Dakota wasn't ready to come out to everyone. Which I completely understood, so I had addressed the rumors about us being together by saying that I was just an overly affectionate drunk and Dakota was becoming a good friend.

I didn't really know if everyone bought the story, but it was the one Dakota was comfortable with telling, so I tried to sell it as best I could. And of course all of my friends backed me, which I think helped a little. The only person I knew who definitely didn't believe me was Nathan, but I brushed it off and hoped he wouldn't ask me about it.

The entire situation had sort of put a strain on Dakota and I that hadn't been there before, so I was glad when he had agreed to meet my parents like I had done with his. It felt like a small step towards getting back on track.

"They like you, you know that," I said.

"But do they really?"

I chuckled and laid down on my bed, pulling the covers over me. "Yes, idiot. They already liked you before."

"It's different, though. They look at me in a different way now. Before they might have liked me as another dude hanging out with you, but now..."

"Now," I said, turning my lamp on so the room filled with dim lighting. "They like you as a dude I'm dating and fucking."

"Cute," Dakota said. I could practically picture the annoyed look in his light green eyes and his nose scrunching up in distaste.

"You are," I sighed happily.

"Lame," Dakota drawled and I chuckled. "Do you think it's a good idea for me to go with you guys?"

He was talking about my parents inviting him to come with us to visit my grandparents in Santa Barbara next weekend. We would be staying with them from Friday to Sunday morning, something we did every May when my grandparents held the anniversary event for their vineyard. It was all old money, suits, and cocktail dresses. I hated going, but if Dakota was going to be there, I was actually looking forward to it for once.

"Of course," I told him. "Why wouldn't it be?"

"Uhm, I don't know, maybe because it's a public thing? Won't it look weird with me as your plus one?"

I shrugged to myself. "Doubt anyone will notice. Trust me, I fly under the radar at these things. We can swipe some wine and sneak out into the vineyard and get drunk under the stars."

"Seriously so gay," Dakota said. I could hear the smile in his words.

"It's going to be great," I promised. I waited a moment, scratched the back of my neck, and said, "And also I sort of already got us tickets to see the ballet that Sunday downtown."

"You did? Which one?"

"It's a surprise."

"Fuck off, tell me."

I laughed. "Okay, it's Sleeping Beauty."

"You're lying."

I snorted. "Why the hell would I lie about that? That would be dumb."

"Remember when I did ballet for like a week?" I hummed an affirmative answer. "We were supposed to be doing a kids version of Sleeping Beauty. Only I obviously never got the chance to really get into it."