Chapter 10

The car ride was a killer. It took over five hours to get to our campsite in Stovepipe Wells and the only things we had seen for miles and miles were sand, rocks, and a million spiky looking shrubs. I almost forgot that grass even existed, let alone water. I was suddenly thankful for the numerous gallons of it that Dante's parents had brought with them as I could already feel my throat going hoarse as my eyes took in all the sand around us.

Along the way, we had to stop three times so Dante's sisters could go to the bathroom, and then once we finally got to our destination we had to wait about twenty more minutes for Dante's parents to go to the office and get us all checked in for our stay. So it was nearly one in the afternoon by the time we were setting up our tents.

The ground of our campsite was just flat, hard dirt, which made me incredibly thankful that Dante had an air mattress. I could only have imagined how messed up my back would be after this trip if I had to sleep right on the ground.

I appreciated that the space Dante's parents had reserved for the next few days was huge because it meant that we had plenty of space to set up our three tents so that they were quite a ways away from each other. It wasn't like Dante and I could--or would--have loud sex or anything, but we could definitely get away with private conversations and a lot of making out--maybe even a little hushed fooling around.

"Dude," I said, wiping some sweat off of my forehead. I dropped my part of the tent and stared at Dante. He gave me a deadpan stare in return, probably knowing what I was about to say. "I can't do this."

"You're not even trying," he said.

"Tents are just not my thing,"

"Quit being a baby, man," Dante said, giving me that look. "Now, pick up the poles."

I didn't move. I watched him and he raised an eyebrow at me. I shrugged. "What?"

"Do you not want a tent tonight?" he asked, a hint of a hidden meaning in his tone.

Instantly, I knew what he was getting at, alluding to the fact that the tent wasn't just for sleeping. I groaned and grabbed the tent to try and put it back together again. I just had to get the stupid poles to line up and then I could get it tethered down to the metal pick stuck into the hard dirt.

"Yeah, but this is so--"

I was cut off when a sweet, girly voice called, "Hey, Harley."

I turned my head to see one of Dante's younger sisters approaching us. She was the oldest of the three at sixteen. Her long blonde hair was blowing softly in the wind. She had her hands tucked into the pockets of her very short jean shorts, and she was giving me a look that I gave our quarterback when I saw him across the gym at school.

I wanted to cringe because for one, she was a girl, and two, she was my fuck buddy's little sister. Shaking off the discomfort before she even noticed, I plastered a smile on my face.

"Hey."

"You need help with your tent, Harley?"

"Drea!" Dante snapped.

I thought he sounded angry, and my assumption was proven right when I looked over at him. He was scowling at his little sister and I thought he might snap the thin metal pole we drastically needed if we wanted to get our tent set up.

"What?" the girl in question snapped back at her brother.

I smirked between the two of them, realizing where this was going. Drea and Dahlia were always trying to hit on me. Thankfully Daisy was still younger so she kind of let me be. I was pretty sure she was still in the cooties phase, but I wasn't about to ask.