•03. In-dependence•

Start from the beginning

•••

A tour around the house and I knew that there were three spacious bedrooms upstairs, including the master's bedroom; three bathrooms upstairs; a computer room slash library: a living room upstairs; the main living room downstairs; the kitchen and dining room; a guest room downstairs; and a bathroom downstairs. There was also a swimming pool at the backyard of the house, though it held no water at the moment.

Now, why had Grandma never shown me that part of the house? Probably because I had spent most of my time here with their neighbour's daughter, Damilola.

(A/N: Damilola is pronounced, Dah-mee-luh-la.)

"I wonder if they still live here," I spoke out loud as I peered out the window and into the compound that had belonged to Dami's parents.

Shifting my shoulders in a shrug, I turned away from the window to further inspect the house. I took note of the fact that the house was actually very neat. No cobwebs, no dust, not even a hair on the floors. Even the beds were neatly laid. Has Uncle Mark hired a caretaker?

I suddenly felt like I was Goldilocks in the bears' home.

•••

I walked into the master's bedroom. Grandpa's former room. The one he used to share with Grandma. A tear escaped from my eye when I sighted a framed picture on the nightstand. I picked it up. Grandma and Grandpa were looking in each other's eyes, their arms wrapped around each other as they smiled.

Quietly, I sat on the bed and ran my hand on the picture and sulked.

Why is life so unfair?

•••

The first thing I noticed when I opened my eyes groggily, was the loud growling happening in my stomach. I held my tummy and frowned. It was night already. I stood blindly and groped the wall for the switch. I found it and flicked it on.

"Whoa," I exclaimed when the lights came on and my eyes dilated. I pulled out my phone from my pocket to check the time.

7:59pm. Or rather, 8:00pm, I read, as the time changed while I watched the screen of my Samsung.

My stomach growled again, and I went out of the master's bedroom where I had slept off. I walked downstairs and entered the living room where my bags were. Drawing out a one thousand naira note from my backpack, I took my master key and went out of the house, locking up behind me.

As I stepped out of the gate, I collided with someone else.

"Ouch!" I rubbed my head.

"Ow!" the other person was rubbing her head as well. That was one big clash.

"Sorry," we both said at the same time.

The girl started laughing, and I stood there, staring and wondering what was so funny. I was glaring at all. She thankfully reined her amusement in. Her eyes grew wider as she stared. She pointed her index finger at me.

"Y-you! Did you just come out of that house?" she sputtered.

I winced. Uh-oh.