Zero Gravity: Part Four

Start from the beginning

"I knew it," Dipper growled. He released Bill, and grabbed the book.

"Hey! You can't take that!" Bill snapped, standing up, and dusting himself off.

"It's safer in our hands than in yours, Cipher," Dipper retorted, glaring at Bill.

Bill blinked. "How did you know my last name?"

"Silence," Dipper ordered.

"SILENCE!" Mabel repeated in a louder voice.

Dipper flinched at the volume. "Uh...thanks, Mabel," he said, earning a grin from his sister. He turned to the boys. "This does not belong you, this is property of the Guardian of the Night, and--"

"OK, hold up," Bill interrupted. "If this book is so important, why didn't this night guy just keep it with him."

"That is classified," Dipper said. "Now, I suggest you two turn around and head home, just pretend that none of this happened."

"Like hell, I will!" Bill shouted.

Will turned sharply to him. "Bill, this is no time to be you."

Bill ignored him, and glared at the Guardians. "You think that you can throw a sword at me, steal from me, without expecting me to get mad? Do you have any idea how I get when I'm MAD?!"

"I guess he gets really mad when he's mad," Mabel whispered to her brother.

Dipper's pink pupils seared into Bill like knives, looking surprisingly intimidating. "And how do you suppose you will stop us?"

Bill chuckled. "With this," he said, reaching into his jacket, and pulling out a page, a page ripped out from the journal. "I found this spell particularly interesting."

Dipper's eyes widened. "You wouldn't dare--"

"Blastimus!" Bill yelled, reciting the spell. A sphere of blue fire emitted from his palm, and projected at the older twins.

The force sent them both crashing through trees, and caused Dipper to unintentionally release the journal. While they laid groaning with smoking clothing, Bill snatched the book from the ground and tucked it in his jacket, before grabbing Will's arm.

"C'mon, time for a quick escape!" Bill urged, dragging Will along as he ran.

Will blinked, as though still processing what had just happened. "You do realize that you assaulted two adults who also happen be extremely powerful!"

"Now is not the time to lecture me!" Bill yelled back.

They left the road, making a turn and retreating into the woods. Overhead, two shadows flew over the trees, keeping pace with the two boys.

"They can fly!" Will cried.

Bill glared at him. "Really?! I didn't notice!" He abruptly halted in his path, after spotting a huge tree with a hallow in it's trunk. "Quick! In there!"

Him and Will squeezed into the hallow, after that, they remained quiet. A moment later, the two shadows paused before them.

"Where are they?" said a voice that was Dipper.

"It's OK, they couldn't have gone far," reassured Mabel. "Let's keep looking."

With that, the shadows zoomed away. Bill peered out to check if they were close by, then sighed in relief once he saw that they were gone. He climbed out first, before helping Will out.

"They're going to find us," Will panted, like Bill, he was covered in dirt. "We can't run away from them forever."

Bill thought for a moment, before an idea dawned on him. "Wendy, she might know these guys. She can help us."

Will nodded, then frowned. "But, how can we find her?"

Bill recalled what the redhead had told them, if they ever needed her. "We call her..." he said, confused as to how they were going to do that, since he didn't remember her having a phone.

Yet, Will seemed to had found another solution. "WENDY!" he yelled, his voice echoing through the woods.

Bill stared at him. "Are you crazy? Those twins might hear you! Plus, Wendy's probably miles away, and I doubt she can hear so far."

"Says who?"

Both boys jumped, and whirled around, to see Wendy grinning at them. "What's up?"

"Red, you got to help us," Bill said urgently. "Two psychos are hunting us."

"They called themselves the Guardians of the World Balance," Will added.

Wendy stared. "Dipper and Mabel? What do they want from you?"

"I have no idea," Bill lied, briefly feeling the journal through his jacket.

"This is bad," Wendy frowned. "Those two don't play around."

"Can't you talk to them?" Will asked hopefully.

"Unfortunately, I don't get a say in this. They're most likely here because of a mission, and nobody is allowed to interfere with their missions, not even me."

Well, that's dumb, Bill thought bitterly.

"But," Wendy started. "I know how you guys can escape. We Guardians are bind to this place, so all you have to do is leave Zero Gravity Town."

"Really?" Bill asked, dejected. "But--"

"Bill, either you leave, or you and brother end up getting hurt," Wendy noted.

Bill glanced at his twin, while Will looked around warily. He didn't give a crap of what would happen to himself, Bill was pretty sure he could take those Guardians, but he did care about his brother. Will was the only family Bill had left now, and even he wasn't that selfish.

Bill sighed. "OK, we'll leave."

Wendy nodded. "I'll get your tickets for the next bus ride out of town. Meanwhile, stay hidden, and I will find you."

She sprinted away in a split second, soon disappearing from view.

"Why didn't you tell her the truth?"

Bill turned to face Will, who had a serious gaze. "The truth about what?"

Will narrowed his eyes. "The journal! Why didn't you tell her about it? Matter of fact, why didn't you let Dipper keep it, then we wouldn't have been in this situation!"

"OK, I know you're mad, but in my defence--"

"No," Will interrupted. "I need to know, what is your obsession towards that journal?"

"I don't know!" Bill admitted. He ran his hands through his hair in frustration. "I just...feel a connection with it, like I was meant to keep it, and I know that sounds stupid, but I can't part with it for some reason."

"Still, that was no reason to lie to Wendy," Will remarked.

"Can you blame me, though?" Bill replied. "Don't you remember what the journal said? You can't trust anyone in this town."

"What about me?" Will asked. "Don't you trust me?"

Bill sighed. "Of course, I do."

Will bowed his head. "Well...it doesn't seem like it." He turned, so his back faced Bill.

Bill stared at him, thought about apologizing, but dismissed the idea. There was nothing for him to apologize for, he was just trying to protect them both. With a huff, he turned away from his brother.

Uncomfortable silence drifted into the air, as they waited for Wendy's return.