chapter nine: times change

Start from the beginning

"To be honest, I wasn't looking at the flight time." I admitted, while pulling out of the neighbourhood. I was on the main road, heading onto the highway.

"Neither was I, actually," Anna laughed. "Our mistake!"

"Yes," I chuckled. "How long till you get to the airport?"

"We've been on the road for a bit. About twenty minutes and we're there." Sam answered.

"We literally just got into the car," Nate said.

"Madison and Isaac got there long ago." Anna said.

"They must be so excited," I said in awe, then Nate placed his hand on my leg. I smiled.

"I'm psyched!" Anna squealed, "I'm happy I can finally make use of my bikinis, I'm tired of this weather."

"God, me too." I mumbled.

"I need a tan," Anna and I said in unison. Sam rolled his eyes in the side.

Forty five minutes later, we parked the car and headed off into the airport. Security procedures and passport checks were a bore but it wasn't long until we were finally in the boarding lounge, and I was reunited with my best friends - after not seeing them for a total of about twelve hours. Our gang was headed off to Hawaii first, then the bride and groom's family members arrive tomorrow, in time for the party.

Isaac and Madison were spending as much time together at the moment as they could. Starting the first morning in Hawaii, they won't see each other for two days. Two days, until they meet again at the altar. The two really never spend time apart, so two days is probably a lot for them. I can already picture Madison crying. But my heart yearns in excitement; my best friend is officially tying the knot.

I was cuddling them two in the lounge, when a loud yo echoes throughout the room. Cameron's arrived.

The dudes engulfed in individual hugs. Cameron even hugged Nate and I heard him say, "Good to see you, man." My face scrunched up like the bish what meme, watching what was unfolding in front of me.

The kids were wide awake at this point, claiming they were too excited to sleep, but I know that once were on the plane, they'll be out like a light. Cameron got down on his knee to hug Logan and kissed him all over his face. "Dad, don't kiss my face! I'm not a baby,"

"Oh shush, you're still my baby no matter what." He responded.

Logan rolled his eyes and then hugged him back saying, "I'm so excited to go to Hawaii,"

"Yeah? Me too. I've been there before," he tells him.

They both sat down to continue their conversation. "No way! Tell me all about it,"

"I actually went with your mum when we-" at this point, I stopped listening. I rolled my eyes, then decided to go get a tea from costa. Once the word got out that I was heading to costa, Sam and Isaac told me their requests, so I went off. Costa was on the other side of the airport and the walk was ten minutes, so I went to Starbucks which was closer. I scrolled through Instagram liking some posts on my way, helped an old lady with her hand luggage and I was finally there.

The wait in line was a few minutes, and then a teen girl called out, "Hey, can I help?"

I approached her, "Hi there, can I have... a tea, latte and black coffee all to go?"

"Of course, regular or large?"

"Large please," I replied and she tapped her screen a few times.

"Name?"

I tell her my name and she writes it down on all three cups. She gives the cups to someone else and they make the drinks. I tell her I'm paying contactless, so as I'm about to get my phone out and get Apple Pay up, somebody steps forward and swipes their card on the payment machine.

The Starbucks girl chuckles and thanks us both with a big smile before moving to the next customer.

"Cameron," I acknowledge him, before moving over to the collection area.

"My lovely ex wife," he singsongs. "How are you doing? You left in a sort of hurry."

My eyes widen as I cringe and I also ignore his question, then I collect the drinks. I look at him, and he's standing there like he's waiting for something, so I begin walking before saying "Uh, thank you, for getting the drinks."

"You're welcome," he whispers; which sent shivers down my spine, brushing past me, almost making me drop the damn drinks. I kiss my teeth, and he struts in front of me, then turning right. I roll my eyes as I follow him.

Ever since he's left that stupid hospital bed, he acts like a queen bee. Now that he's not physically weak, he does all sorts of shit. The dude works out now. Yeah. That's new. This new him is something I'm getting used to and it was easier when he was bed-bound, because back then, he would cry all the time. He still likes to poke me about with his feelings too.

It's just a bit hard, because everyone thinks that us two are a done and dusted case; but for him, it's an open one.

"Where are you going?" I mutter, waddling behind.

"I want a burger," he said.

"You really have changed," I mumble under my breath. He didn't hear me, so he carried on. We stopped at McDonalds where he got one of those big signature burger things, then we headed back. I was speed walking, because the drinks are going to get cold and the boys complaining to me about it isn't what I wanna deal with right now.

"Does it annoy you when I talk to Logan about our past?" He randomly asked.

My heartbeat speeds up. "Yes."

"Why?"

"I don't want you giving Logan any sort of hope. Because I'm with Nate,"

He didn't respond.

I continued. "I don't mind you telling Logan things. I really don't. It's just, talking to him about things we did when we were together brushes me the wrong way. He's young, so he might idolise the idea of what we had. That's the only thing that bothers me."

There was an awkward silence as we walked back to the lounge. He was quiet for a solid minute, and I was bouncing back and forth in my head for a few seconds on whether I should speak up about something else.

"I understand. I won't do that anymore. Sorry." Cameron said abruptly, and he walked off. I sighed and stopped in my tracks. The lounge was straight ahead of us, but he went left. I began to feel bad, knowing I hurt him. I was contemplating going after him, but I thought about the drinks.

Yeah, yeah, the drinks. Selfish, I know.

Cameron's an adult. He's not gonna strop about it.

Back in the lounge, Sam and Isaac gave me two stars out of five for my 'customer service', as I took ten minutes total getting their drinks. I went and sat in between Logan and Madison on chairs while drinking my tea.

"Where's Cameron? I saw him leave not long after you did," Madison asked me, with a questionable look on her face. I'm not certain where he's gone, but he should be back soon.

I shrugged at her, taking the AirPod out of her right ear and putting it in mine. She was listening to Yours by Ella Henderson, and I replayed the lyrics in my head.

' I just want you to be sure
That I am yours '

I looked at Nate, watching him laugh about something with Isaac, and we caught eye contact. He smiled at me, and I grinned back. He mouthed I love you, making me blush in my spot. This wedding, the destination... it's going to be good for us.