chapter eight: to be

LINDY'S POV

The girls and I made our way to the beach, where it was about after six PM and the sun was setting soon. At home, we washed up the dishes and I noticed Nate didn't eat most of his dinner, so I put it in the fridge. There was an extra plate full of food in there too, which confused me, but I didn't question it. I changed into a light pink dress and left a hoodie in the car to wear in case it's cold by the time we leave.

I pulled up to the cafe and the girls got out immediately. I snorted and mumbled, "Eager,"

They ran off, obviously to find everybody. I parked properly and paid on the phone for the ticket. The cafe did actually look pretty dark inside, like it was closed. I was almost sure it was open every weekday till about 8 ish maybe?

Okay, well honestly, I didn't have any idea.

I approached the door and pushed it, which to my surprise, it was open. The girls clearly came through here then. All the tables but one was put away, and there was no staff in sight. I frowned.

"The hell is going on..." I pondered. I made my way to the back of the cafe and into the beach. "Hello?"

"Where are you guys?" I shouted.

All of a sudden, both of my hands were grabbed by two little people, making me squeal. Two of my favourite people. Ellie and Logan. "You little rugrats!" I laughed, getting down to hug them. "Playing hide and seek, are we?"

They just looked at each other, and giggled.

They began to drag me to the other side of the beach, where the sea wasn't too far in. "Where is everyone," I said and chuckled, but they just continued giggling as response. I decided to go along with it. They probably want me to hide with them - wherever the others have gone off to, I'm just assuming it's a game at this point.

Ellie ran ahead of us and Logan stayed with me. We chatted for a bit about the sky and then Ellie came to a halt, where she then reached her hand out. Logan ran forward, taking it and sprinting off with her.

"Don't go off too far!" I say, and turn around.

I scrunched my eyebrows, looking for my friends. Where the hell are they? The cars were in the parking lot...

The soft strumming of a guitar sounds, causing me to turn again and give my attention to what's in front of me. Isaac has came out of somewhere, no where, and is playing a song. He cracks a smile, and motions for me to follow him. "Everyone is down here," he said, and we walked together.

"It's nice to hear you play again," I grinned, feeling nostalgic.

Isaac grinned back at me, still playing a song - which I'm not too sure about the name of, but it's peaceful and harmonic. We walk for about a minute and go round the corner of a large rock.

I now see an arch, covered in fairy lights and flowers. Nate is standing under it, with Logan and Ellie standing on each side. All of my friends are behind the arch, sitting on a bunch of blankets and pillows on the sand. They're all engulfed in conversation, but quietened down as I got closer and all stand up.

My heartbeat quickens and I stop in my tracks.

All eyes are on me and a gentle smile creeps onto Nate's lips. I bite my lip to refrain from smiling and look down.

"Melinda. I have something to say," he said.

I feel so speechless. I like to think that I know what's happening now.

How didn't I figure this out? Nate is terrible with secrets.

"I have been writing down things that I should say to you today, for two months. I've rewritten so many times I've lost count..." he begins, and paused for a second. "But early today, I decided I didn't need to write down my feelings, when I can just freely express it all directly from the heart. Let me start with, I love you. I love you so much, Melinda. I have never been in love with someone before, in fact, I didn't think loving was my thing - until I met you. You changed everything for me. You've given me a lifestyle I'd never even think of throwing away. You've given me purpose. You make me so happy, babe. Every time I look at you, my breath is actually taken away. It's unreal that someone like you exists, that someone like you, is mine - all that beauty, kindness and spirit you have blows me away. Baby, two months ago, I made a decision. I wanted to settle down for good. With you. With Logan. I want what we have to grow and thrive."