Broken (Fairy Tail)

The Heartfilia family wasn't always this way. They weren't always broken, apart from the world outside of their home.

Six months ago, the family was perfectly fine. The Heartfilia family were like any other regular family, just sharing a meal at the dinner table.

Jude and Layla Heartfilia are the parents. The father a leading businessman and the mother was a seamstress, who worked at home. They would sit at the ends of the table.

When Jude and Layla wanted a family, the doctors told them that there was no possible way that they could conceive a child of their own. This resulted in them adopting several children.

Jellal was the oldest, who was twenty-two. He was adopted by Layla after his parents died and played the role of the responsible older brother to his little siblings that may or less adore him. He sat at next to Jude.

Gajeel was the second oldest, only eighteen and ready to see the world. He was also an adopted child, seeing that no one could find his father after his mother died. Though he wouldn't like to admit it, he loved his new family and wouldn't give them up for the world. He sat next to Jellal.

Juvia was the middle child, exactly seventeen and three quarters. She was the first adopted girl into the family after her own parents abandoned her. Even though she had been told that bad luck had always found their way around her, she never would've stopped Layla from bringing her home. She sat next to Layla.

Lucy was the second youngest, sixteen and is considered to be the miracle baby. She is the only biological daughter of Jude and Layla and perhaps, to quote, the smallest thing the other children had ever seen in their lives. She sat next to Juvia.

And finally, there was Romeo, the youngest, who had just turned thirteen. His real father died when he was two, leaving him without any family until Layla came and took him home. Even though he was the baby, Romeo was the king of the house, getting everyone to do everything for him as soon as he flashed his puppy eyes at them. Not even his big brother Gajeel could resist. He sat next to Lucy.

This ragtag family of seven were sitting together, just eating a family meal in peace, talking about things that happened in school and laughing about what happened between their father and the heinous photocopier. That was the time when it was normal. For that to be explained, we have to go to the next day at Fairy Tail High, the school where the kids go (except for Jellal).

The four separate students sat in their classrooms, doing what they were doing (By that, Lucy and Romeo were actually working, Juvia was stalking her crush and Gajeel was sleeping).

During Lucy's class, Mrs. Poryulisca, the school superintendent, asked her to come outside into the hallway.

"Is something wrong, Mrs. Poryulisca?" Lucy asked.

"Please forgive me, Lucy. It's about your mother.", she said.

Lucy's eyes widen, "What happened?"

Mrs. Poryulisca didn't speak at first but, when she did, Lucy's world shook.

"Your mother... was killed in a car accident. I'm very sorry for your loss."

6 Months Later...

Jude left them all after Layla's funeral. The five changed over that time.

Jellal had to take all the responsibility to help his siblings cope. He even dropped out of college to try to help with the financial troubles.

Gajeel quit the basketball team and turned away from everyone. He even stopped going to school at one point.

Juvia went from good girl to bad and even skipped school enough to have to repeat the grade.

Lucy became depressed and began to take pills and drugs. She was harassed and bullied at school, only to rely on her best friend for comfort.

Romeo wasn't bullied but, he was left alone and being the pre-teen in the house, it's hard to grow up alone in a broken home.

It was about time for another "family" dinner, if you even call this a family anymore.

"Juvia, sit down. We're having dinner." Jellal said.

Juvia crossed her arms over her chest and said, "I'm not hungry."

Jellal slammed his fist down on the table and shouted, "SIT DOWN!"

The room remained silent for a while. Juvia sat down next to Gajeel.

"How was today, Jellal-nii?" Romeo asked to break the silence.

"It was a bit of an off day." Jellal told him.

"A really, really bad day." Juvia said.

"A kick-you-in-the-balls kind of day." Gajeel said.

"Language, Gajeel." Lucy said.

"Speaking of Gajeel, I got a call from your coach. You skipped out on practice again." Jellal said.

"He's an ass and I didn't feel like going." Gajeel scoffed.

"Language, Gajeel!" Lucy shouted again.

"And Juvia, you skipped school again." Jellal added.

'So what? I gave up at school." Juvia said, throwing her napkin on the table.

"It's not just so what! You've got a chance to succeed, Juvia!" Gajeel shouted.

"Oh! Like you're one to say that!" Juvia shouted back at him.

"What do you mean?!"

"I learned it all from you!"

"From me?"

"Yes! From YOU!" Juvia shouted as she shoved Gajeel.

Romeo jumped between the middle of them and began speaking.

"Would you guys stop fighting? I swear, you've both been like this since Mom died!" the teen shouted.

"Like you're no different, Romeo! You do nothing but shout at Jellal all day." Gajeel spat.

The three began arguing some more until, Lucy shouted, "Jellal! You have to tell them!"

Jellal froze in place. Juvia and Gajeel were confused by what Lucy shouted but, Romeo knew what that meant.

"If you won't say it, Jellal, I will!" Lucy shouted.

Juvia, Gajeel, and Romeo sat down again and Jellal began speaking.

"Gildarts came by today with some bad news. Due to the morgage on getting paid on time, he said that the house will be revoked." Jellal explained.

"And what the hell does that mean?" Gajeel shouted.

"It means, we're going to lose the house." Jellal uttered and the room became deathly still.

"What do you mean?" Juvia said.

"You heard what I said. We lost the house." Jellal said.

Gajeel jumped from the table, shouting, "How'd you do that?!"

"It's not my fault!" Jellal shouted back.

"It is all we have!" Juvia also shouted.

The three began arguing and Romeo joined in. Eventually, Gajeel began trashing the table, Juvia began muttering shut up in all the chaos and Jellal was trying to get Romeo down from the table.

Then, Lucy smacked her hands down on the table and screamed, "ENOUGH!"

Romeo got down from the table and stood next to Jellal. Juvia stood up from her corner and Gajeel stopped destroying the place.

"I have something to confess." she said as she led her siblings into the backyard.