the encounter

"Brrr, it's cold..." You whispered to yourself as you tugged your coat closer to your shivering body. Your grip on your violin case tightened as your hurried your footsteps.

The wind blew harshly against your pale skin, the jarring coldness of the air almost cutting your skin as you walked. 

ding! The bell on the door rang as you pushed open the doors to your favourite cafe. Immediately, the warmth of the cafe enveloped you and you sighed happily. 

"Ah! It's my favourite customer again!" Taehyung winked at you as you took your usual seat by the window. "The same?" 

"Yes please!" You chirped happily as you removed your gloves from your frozen hands. Rubbing your hands together, you tried to gain some warmth as you patiently waited for Taehyung to bring over your coffee. 

"Here you go!" Taehyung said cheerfully as he passed you your drink. "One café au lait for my favourite violinist." 

You laugh as you saw the little reindeer and Santa models Taehyung had placed next to your coffee. 

"What's up with the Christmas decorations Tae? It's only the end of November." 

"It's Christmas month in 4 days my lovely" Taehyung giggled as he tapped your nose. And with that, he pulled over a nearby chair and sat down across you. "Another performance today?" He nodded at your violin case. 

"Yep! It was my first performance at a wedding! I played for 2 hours in the cold none stop, but guess what?" 

"You earned 350 bucks?" 

"500 you idiot." You smacked him on the back of his head. "though I would say that my talent is worth at least 500 bucks an hour, not 500 for two hours." 

"If I had the money..." Taehyung trailed off.  "I would pay you 1000 dollars an hour." He winked after he finished his sentence. 

"Pfft, I doubt it." You rolled your eyes as you slowly sipped your coffee, feeling the warm liquid rush soothingly down your throat.  You pulled out one of the hundred dollar bills you were paid today. They were crisp and new; you ran your hands over them lovingly.  "When does your shift end? I'll treat you to dinner tonight! Your girl is rich tonight!"

Taehyung let out a loud laugh. "Save it for yourself Y/N. Buy yourself something nice! You know that dress you were looking at a few days ago? Get yourself that." 

You shook your head as you gently smiled. "I need to save up money for Jimin. He's graduating next June. I need to get his tuition fee ready by then."

"Y/N ah" Taehyung called out and you lifted your head.

"If...you ever need anything, or if you are short on money or something." Taehyung cleared his throat. "I'm always here for you."

You remained silent.

"I know I always joke and say that I'm poor and shit, but if you are really low on money, please, please do tell me." Taehyung rubbed your hair. "I promised your parents I would look after you and Jimin, and I will." 

You let out a toothy grin. "I know. Thank you." 

The bell on the door rang again, signalling that you were not alone in the cafe anymore. Taehyung smiled slightly at you before standing up and moving back to his original place behind the counter.

You could feel his heated gaze on you, but you pretended not to notice as you continued sipping on your coffee. 

To be fair, the coffee that you drank did manage to keep you warm for a decent amount of time, but as soon as you stepped into the outside world once again all warmth that you had gathered in you seemed to have disappeared.