Chapter 6:No Choice

Start from the beginning

Yeonie, guess he remembered after all.

That nickname stung her heart for a second. She shook off the small pang of emotions and continued her path to the park‍. The nickname brought her back, to the joyful but painful memories. The revealing smile but tears behind them.

Yeonmi continued her way towards the park. The footsteps behind her seemed to multiply, but they never got closer. She had nothing to defend herself, and her training with the Dreamies was only the beginning.

Yeonmi reached the final ally and hurried her way to the end. She made it halfway down the alley before men in black came marching down the same direction. Their hands were clenched in fists and mouths blocked by masks.

"Excuse me," she says, "I need to get through here."Yeonmi explains trying her best to be natural.

"No can do, sweetheart."

Her heart sinks to the bottom of her stomach. Cold sweat dripped down her forehead and she made a break for it. She squeezed through them and began to sprint. Her second of glory came crashing as one of them grabbed her hood and shoved her against the wall.

"No running either."

The bag of medical supplies was ripped from her hand and thrown to the ground. A hand wrapped around her throat and strained her breathing.

"HELP!" She tried to scream, but a hand came and covered her mouth.

The muffled scream rang through the alley and reached her superheroes; well one of them more than the others. They ran towards the direction of the muffled scream, and on Mark's instinct.

Yeonmi reached for her phone but one of the men saw it. He snatched the phone and threw it against the wall, destroying it. The lack of air was getting to her head, and she was sure she was going to die in that alley way. The man let go of her throat and she fell on her knees gasping for air.

Another man came around and kicked her till she fell onto her side. Yeonmi groaned in pain before she was picked up off the ground and shoved to the wall again.

"Let's move out!" One of them shouted.

"Not if I can help it!" Mark shouts as he attacks the men around him.

Lucas and two other men with him attack the men behind the ambush. In the process, Yeonmi gets shoved to the ground once more, getting coated in dirt. A minute or two passes, and soon the sound of police sirens appear in the distance.

All the men stopped at the sounds. The men in black scrambled away, but one decided to take a final kick at Yeonmi. Unfortunately for him, Mark fire a bullet into his side. He went running away, and Mark came running to Yeonmi's side.

She wasn't as frightened as she was the first time, but the tears were still the same. Mark picked her off the ground and carried her on his back. The members ran towards their getaway car together. He places her his first, then hops right it after.

"Yeonie, are you okay?"Mark asks.

A response didn't come, only staggered breathing and panicked eyes. He could feel her body shaking in his arms. This only creates more conflicting emotions as Mark pulls her closer. An amount of sanity returned to both of them, but at what cost.

"Mimi, just breath."Lucas says, trying to help calm her down.

"Yeonmi, I think it's time."Jaehyun tells her.

"Jaehyun, not now."

"I wasn't talking to you, Kun."

*In Mandarin "I just don't want her to ruin her life. Sicheng, why doesn't he understand that our job is dangerous?"Kun says, but of course Jaehyun and Mark don't understand.