Chapter 6

With Luke finally wrapping up his explanation, the students were finally able to focus on the task that lays ahead of them: making a self-portrait with any material they could find, but instead of drawing or sculpting themselves, they have to make something that represents them. This could be done through creating something with a rough texture or a smooth texture. Or drawing something really chaotic, or maybe something that is very neat and organized.

Clementine didn't really know what she should do for this. She knows that if she got herself some clay, she would only end making various amounts of differently shaped penises. She wasn't really a fan of painting, because the one time she did she'd gotten paint on her fingers, which then made its way onto the keys of her piano. Even though it was very easily avoidable, she was still stubborn enough to never want to give it a try again. Sophie is, obviously, drawing something using her own set of pencils, rather than the ones the school provided. Clementine looks at her drawing briefly, and it already looks more stunning that anything she could even create an image of in her head. Louis is just mindlessly scribbling lines on his piece of paper as he sings the lyrics to one of his own songs. And then Clementine's gaze falls to Violet.

Being assisted by Luke, Violet was trying her hand on sand art. Luke had laid something on the blonde's table that reminded Clementine of an iPad, except it was around five times bigger. The 'screen' of the tablet emitted a very bright, white light and on top of it he had sprinkled a decent amount of sand. As soon as their teacher left Violet's side, she started gently caressing the sand with an immense amount of concentration.

Violet closes herself off from the world around her and gets completely lost in shaping the sand the way she wishes it to be. She feels the minuscule, individual grains of sand brush lightly against her skin, each one seeming to tickle her on their own accord. The gentle touch of the grit sends shivers down her spine, which makes her relax into a stupefying trance. She hears the laughing and chattering of the kids around her become more faint and muffled as she inhales deeply through her nose. She starts rubbing small circles with her fingers, the sand snaking around them as she does so. Moving them along the tablet, the blonde hears the very light scrunching of the small grains against the plastic. Savoring every second of peace away from the shitty world around her, she leans back for a moment to really enjoy the moment in its fullest. Picking up the sound of someone approaching her on her left, Violet decides to pull out of her ecstasy and she turns her head towards the nearing footsteps.

"Do you mind if I join you? I know you were very engrossed, but I asked Luke for one of those tablets and this is the only one they have," a voice very familiar to Violet asks.

Clementine sits down next to the blonde and awaits a response. While she wasn't sure if Violet would actually be okay with this, seeing as she still wasn't confident in the fact that they were on good terms, she still hoped that the blind girl would be okay with this.

"It's fine, I guess," Violet shrugs as she goes back to leisurely stirring the sand again. "Just take the left side and I'll take the right."

The air between the two girls remains noiseless for quite some time. Clementine didn't really know how to spark up any conversation with the new girl as they were currently both just absentmindedly doodling in the sand.

"So... what kind of music do you like?" the brunette asks, not really knowing anything else to talk about.

Please don't be country, please don't be country. Or Shawn Mendes. Fuck that guy.

"I-uh... I guess I'm into rock, mostly... Bands like My Chemical Romance and Motionless in White are my usual go-tos whenever I want to, you know... escape for a bit," Violet explains while continuing to focus on the sand in front of her.