Conditions

When he left, Eldric took the seat Jeremiah previously took. "Don't mind him. And don't feel obligated to do what he said."

Lia sighed. At least he was giving her a way out. She was already thinking of an excuse for that. She was not sure if Tamara would welcome being exposed when she was used to being careful with strangers all these years.

"Right about your conditions," Eldric said.

Lia subconsciously sat up straight and waited.

"I'll do all that."

Her breath hitched.

He smiled, the kind that gave him a more boyish look, very different from the murderous aura he gave off earlier. "Why do you look surprised? We need the cure, not just to save lives, but also to hinder the advancement of the group we are looking for. The mayor is just a pawn." He gave her a crooked grin, the one Crazy Ed always had. "And thank you for telling me about the location of the bottles. Nice acting."

Lia shrugged nonchalantly, like it was just a coincidence, though she knew that he would see through her lie if she attempted.

"He doesn't have it?" Lia asked despite knowing the answer.

"No, he just had the supplies because he was told to pass it on specific people, but then it got out of hand as it gets to the masses."

"Why would he continue doing it though?"

"Money. He earns every time someone buys in the tavern. And then in cahoots with the physician who then sells a temporary medicine at an expensive price."

"Why?" Lia was more of thinking out loud. She was surprised when Eldric was still answering her questions.

"For the mayor, it's just money and the finer things in life. Ever wonder how he got this mansion in the middle of forests when there's no big city nearby? But for the people who created the drink... they have a more sinister plan."

"The Unseen..." Lia whispered.

Eldric was shocked at this, but he nodded grimly.

The Unseen was the group that the general has been pursuing throughout the novel. Lia did not get to the ending so she did not know what happened or who was the one behind it or why do it. But Eldric was hell-bent on pursuing them.

"Why are you telling me this?" Lia narrowed her eyes. There's got to be a catch.

"Because you deserve to know. You are, somehow, have gotten dragged into this whole mess. And the least I could do to you was to explain things."

"What will happen to the mayor, then?"

"He'll have to undergo a public trial."

Lia nodded. "Is that the only reason why you're here?"

"Tomorrow I'll have a public announcement about the witch. I'll give facts about your mother or you not being a witch, but I can't guarantee that the people will accept it right away."

Lia looked down. "Fair enough." She was thinking too highly when she thought that one word would change someone's perception when it does not. Then she gasped and looked up at Eldric who seemed to be studying her.

"That's why the public trial."

Eldric smiled. "Along with the evidence that proves that you are not a witch, I'll expose the mayor and then leave it up to them. I thought to see him for what he is will convince them more than my words."

"You're letting them choose which was the lesser evil. So even if they don't believe that my mother is not the witch, compared to the mayor who did so many bad things at the expense of the townsfolk..."

Eldric sat back and grinned as he watched Lia work it out. She stared back in awe. She was reminded of why she enjoyed the novel. The protagonist was like a war god on the battlefield, but he was also a good schemer. Granted, he schemed against his enemies or sometimes just let them fight for themselves. She had wanted to pick his brains before. It was too bad that he was such a womanizer.

"Oh, that reminds me, I want to make sure that no one will pursue us when we leave. I swear you won't hear anything from us ever again."

Eldric frowned. "Of course, that's included, too. I, after all, accepted your condition. But I have a new condition to make."