Out of Time (2)

Subconsciously, Lia mirrored her mother's stiff posture as she waited for the answer. Tamara opened and closed her mouth before turning away and busied herself with her materials.

"Why?" Tamara's voice was barely audible, but Lia could detect fear. The older woman was usually good at hiding her emotions. "Did something happen while you are in town?"

Lia did not miss when Tamara flicked her eyes towards the window and eyed the trees like a hawk. "I know that the men bother you so much, and I don't like how we're always on the edge. Are we going to live like this from now on? Always terrified of people? We can just leave. I'd love to explore other places. Maybe in places where we are not seen as witches?"

Tamara's face grew somber. "I doubt there's a place like that."

Lia came closer and sat at the edge of the table. "What were you doing before you encountered my parents?"

The older woman looked wistful. She missed those days, Lia was sure. "I used to wander around. Wherever my feet take me."

"Then why did you stop? Is it... is it because of me?"

"I can't have you travel long distances. Not when you were frail and sickly."

"I'm sorry," Lia hung her head. "But I'm okay now. I can handle myself. We'll have lots of fun. I can learn more plants. The ones I've seen in your notes."

Tamara watched her intently, "Lia, why are you doing this? What's wrong?"

Lia wanted to say everything, starting from how they were treated, but that would only worry Tamara more. "I'm tired of staying up at night, thinking when would be the next time people will decide to attack us."

Tamara deflated. "No one would hurt you, I promise you that, and I'm sorry that I made you feel like that." She sighed as though releasing all the tension she held inside.

"It's not your fault. Never your fault."

They sat in silence for a while. Tamara looked like she was considering Lia's words, while Lia's fingers hurt from crossing them too much, hoping that she was able to change her mother's mind.

After what seemed like forever, Tamara spoke, "Alright, we'll go. Find someplace to live."

"Or live in every city!"

"Except for the capital."

Lia frowned, but Tamara only pursed her lips and shook her head. Not the time to ask then. "Except the capital," Lia repeated.

"When do you want to leave?"

"How about on the day of the festival?"

It was Tamara's turn to frown. "That soon? The festival's the day after tomorrow."

Lia nodded, maybe a little too eagerly. "No one will notice us since there are lots of people around. We won't stand out too much." Tamara looked down at her hair. "Don't you, uh, want to color it?" She felt unsure asking it and afraid that her question might offend Tamara. If she wanted to blend in with her hair, she should have done it before.

Tamara held her hair with the gentlest care. A small, wistful smile played on her lips. "I'd like to retain this color. It reminds me of my people."

Lia assumed that she meant her family and other relatives. Tamara had never spoken about what happened to her, but Lia knew it was something painful. Her mother would tell her in due time.

"We'll leave in two days then. Better start packing." Tamara stood up and started taking notes of the things that they should bring.