Long Day

Lia spent the rest of the morning helping Tamara, feeling glad that she took the books from their cottage. She did the research while her mother studied the contents of the gin. In her previous world, she worked as a researcher in a pharmaceutical company so the readings did not bother her. In fact, she would welcome it any other day. But with the self-imposed deadline that loomed over them, she glued her eyes on the pages and prayed that this page would have the answer she needed. No such luck.

"How did they cure it before? We might get a--" Lia asked, her eyes skimming through walls of texts.

"They didn't."

Lia stilled. "How about, uh, historical data? Surely, they've been written down or something?"

Tamara did not slow down with her work nor bother looking at Lia when she replied. "There's none. No witness account either."

'Then, how did you know about that?' was what Lia wanted to ask, but there was something in Tamara's voice that told her she should not ask anymore. She bit her lip, her curiosity threatening to spill and urge her to ask more, but they did not have time. She filed her questions as part of her mother's many mysteries and continued to work.

Yolly fretted in the background. Despite her efforts to remain silent and unintrusive, her nervous energy permeated in the atmosphere. When Lia could no longer take it anymore, she dragged her down the store to open it. Yolly protested.

"It will do us no good to be here. Besides, it will be more productive to be downstairs. I'll help you," Lia said, more than ready to rest her eyes. When Tamara was in her zone, no one could and should disturb.

"Tamara might need something!"

"I don't," Tamara paused to briefly face them before resuming her work, "and even if I do, I'll manage. Let Lia join you."

Opening the shop proved to be a good idea as the influx of people helped Yolly forget her worries temporarily. The rouge Tamara made was sold out, and there were still customers hoping for more. By the time the wave of shoppers ebbed, it was about past one in the afternoon, and Lia was more than ready for this day to be over.

After asking Yolly if she would manage alone in the shop, Lia decided to cook something for all of them. Surprisingly, the cupboards were empty. When she asked Yolly about it, the older woman replied, "I meant to. But that night was when... was rough."

Lia nodded in understanding. "I'll do a quick run outside and buy us something." She grabbed her purse, thankful for the allowance Tamara gave her, though she missed the financial freedom she had in her previous life. She added getting a job in her to-do list in this lifetime.

She stood outside the shop for quite a while, letting herself adjust to the crowd in the streets. "You can do this," she muttered as if needing encouragement before braving the crowds.

There were more stalls today, most likely, because of the festival. She enjoyed looking around and watched the performers entertain anyone who stopped by. It was nice not having to worry about standing out when there were a lot of different people around. Among all the choices of food available, she opted for something safe and bought a loaf of bread and mushroom soup instead of the foreign delicacies in front of her. She bought a couple more things like a hairpin for her and her mother, plus a belt bag for Yolly, and a cap for Frankie. She smiled as she looked at her purchases which she got at a lower price. Her smile turned to a quick grin, proud at her haggling skill.