It started

Eldric

Eldric was still reeling with the news he received from his informant. His suspicions had been correct. Soon, he would have The Unseen's hideout. Then 'him.'

"What should we do with the mayor?" Tim asked as they rode their horses on the way back to the town.

All the underground dealings were connected to the Unseen. But he, the big boss, would not be happy with just that. He would make sure to string along as many people as possible to do his bidding while he remained in his hideout, cozy and safe.

"Why do dirty work when there are a lot of willing people to do things for you?" He once told Eldric. "Remember that because that's what you would do once you take over."

Eldric ground his teeth. Along with the information he received was another piece he had long suspected -- someone was backing up the organization and acting as the middle man for all the dealings of the group. Eldric knew many men who came knocking on the secret doors just to get a glimpse of this mysterious group. These were the men who were backed to a corner and would do anything for money and power. Yet there were also those people who could not seem to get enough of those that betraying their king was only a trifling matter.

If The Unseen had rooted and solidified their spot in this town, then someone let them come here. There was only one person who fitted the bill.

"We will interrogate him."

"And if he denied?"

"He can deny all he wants. We have our means," Eldric gave Tim a sideways glance. "But I imagine we won't come to that." He can already think of a lot of things that would make the mayor eager to talk. " Scaring him a little would do. He's got no spine."

They rode back to the town, the full moon shone above, casting shadows over them. As they neared the gate, the town was unusually quiet, save from the sound of insects. Instead of relaxing in this stillness, the two of them became even more vigilant.

"It's eerie," Tim noted.

Eldric noticed that too. It was unusually quiet. At this time of the day, every inn and pub they passed by should be overflowing with patrons. Weary or drunk town folks would be returning to their houses, relieving their stress for the day.

This was not good. Eldric had a foreboding feeling in this atmosphere. It was like that night when he got attacked in the forest. It was too quiet back then too. Too calm on the surface yet something sinister brewed underneath that facade.

He sped up his horse and arrived at the mayor's house where the only people around were the guards he installed. The town folks were nowhere to be seen as if the whole town became a ghost town. This kind of silence unnerved him.

"What happened? Where's the mayor?" He stopped in front of a guard. The quick exchange of glances between the two guards did not escape his notice.

"The mayor left the town with the people. He said that he had already informed the vice-general."

Eldric set his jaw and spoke as if the words were being pulled out of him. "And where did they go?"

The guards tensed, feeling the dangerous aura. "They said that they are going to kill the witch once and for all."

For a moment, the world tilted in front of him. Kill the witch. Witch. The mayor had brought that up a few days ago, but Eldric only pretended to listen to him. He should have done better.

"What!? And they said the vice-general approved of that?" Tim shouted beside him, tension seeped through his pores causing the guards to look even more nervous.

Just then, he heard hurried footsteps. Every step echoed in the pavement across the town. It broke through the silence and brought Eldric back from his reverie. He turned to the sound, his hand gripping the hilt of his sword. He was more than ready to chop down whoever -- whatever was going to emerge in the darkness.

A young man, probably still in his teens, appeared from the shadows. His face was gaunt, his breathing ragged. Relief flooded his face when he saw Eldric. He continued running towards the mayor's house despite the warnings of the guards.

"You! I told you to go home earlier!" the guard shouted.

The young man did not pay him attention, his eyes focused on Eldric alone. Eldric searched his memory for the young man's face, but he could not remember meeting him before.

"You're the vice-general right? You need to help my friend!" the young man said.

"Hey! What do you think you are doing?" The guards assembled in front of Eldric, blocking the young man's path.

"Now's not the right time, kid. Go home," Tim said.

"No, my friend and her mother cured me of the effects of the gin!"

Everyone was taken aback by this statement. Even Eldric did not seem to know where to start from this new-found information.

"And where is that friend?" Eldric asked.

"She went back to their house in the woods. Quick! You need to save her! Save them! Please! The people are going to kill them if you don't. If you want your cure you need to help her!" the young man pleaded, eyes wide with fear.