How to be a Witch

Tamara may be the gentlest person Lia had ever known, but she was the strictest teacher she ever had. First, her mother had made her read all of the notes and then quizzed her about it the next day. Second, she had to identify the essential plant parts used, their taste, smell, and texture.

"It is important to use all of your senses. You might never know when someone puts something in your food," Tamara had said.

Lia endured all of it, not only because she was genuinely interested, but also because she had to find a cure for an illness that would disrupt the town festival in the future. In the novel, Lia and Tamara were the suspects for spreading that drink. Their imprisonment caused even more friction to their already fragile bond, causing her to throw herself at the male lead.

Despite having that knowledge, Lia could not tell anyone about it without throwing suspicion to herself. She had to figure out a way to find the cure before everything got out of hand. She still had at least two weeks before the festival.

She knew that Tamara still held secrets from her. But at least, Lia could ascertain that killing her was not one of them. For that, she could put her faith in her mother.

"What are we doing today?" She walked in on Tamara arranging her materials. It had been a month since they started their lessons.

Tamara looked up and smiled. "I'm thinking of sending you to an errand of picking up ingredients in the woods."

Lia grinned, but Tamara gave her a stern gaze.

"You shouldn't take too long. If it's too hard to find, let it be and come home right away. If there are suspicious people out there, come back." Tamara had been wary and fidgety since the goons arrived at their doorstep.

This would be the first time Lia would explore this world outside their area, but she also understood the many dangers of the forest. She was not eager to experience them. "I know, mother."

This shocked both of them. The word came out easily that Lia did not realize until she spoke the words. It seemed appropriate to call the older woman that. Heck, she had been calling her mother in her head. But it seemed like this was the first time she said it aloud.

Tamara was a little teary-eyed as Lia smiled at her and stepped outside.

Lia walked around until she approached a clearing, the one where she woke up last time. From there, she gathered the materials needed and busied herself. Everything was going well, and she lost track of time. She gave herself a pat in the back when she could now identify the plants and the plant parts commonly used. All of her sleepless nights filled with readings were now starting to pay off. She hummed a tune as she went through the materials.

Her basket was already full to the brim, but she felt like she was still missing something. She checked out her list when something caught the corner of her eyes. There were dark spots on the ground, sometimes on the grass. She leaned closer, studying those dark red blots. With a jolt, she stepped back and glanced around before returning to the spots.

There was no mistaking it. This was a trail of blood.