The Fallen Kingdom

Jeremiah signaled the soldiers outside to take away the plates. When Frankie left, he spoke again, "Right, so I'd like to confirm if what Eldric said was true, that you know about the cure."

Lia nodded. "It is true, and I'll give the sample and list of materials needed, but not before I have the assurance of the general about our conditions."

"Of course." Jeremiah tilted his head as if in thought. "But that's not really the reason I seek you out. Is it true that you are the one who helped Eldric when he was wounded in the forest?"

"Forest? No, I don't think..." There was a moment of confusion before she realized what he meant, and anger surged within her once more. "Oh right, the beggar."

Jeremiah burst out of laughter. "Beggar! No one has ever told him that. He insisted that he's a wandering rogue. Still! A beggar pfft."

Lia could not share his laughter. To think that they met way earlier than expected. And on top of that, she even helped him! This was not in the book!

His eyes softened. "Please don't take it personally. He was doing his job. We're used to seeing his disguises like that so I'm not surprised that you are fooled into thinking that he really is just a poor man. But let's leave Eldric for now. I'm more interested in the salve you used for his wounds."

Lia frowned as her entire body stiffened with alarm. It was the medicine Tamara made. "What about it?" she said cautiously.

"When I saw that it helped avoid the infection and leave scars, I was intrigued. It's different from the one that was used and taught in our country. I've never seen anything like that. There was once that kind of medicine, but it was once used by an old kingdom. The kingdom was long gone, however. That's why I was surprised when Eldric came home with that medicine."

Lia remembered leaving an extra pot in case the wound reopened. "Old kingdom?"

"You probably don't know as it happened when we were very young, but there's a fallen country near our borders in the north. The kingdom was small, incomparable to its neighboring countries, yet they flourished. They have a very odd way of making medicines. Well, people call it odd, but I call it advanced medicine. Too bad, they perished along with their knowledge."

"They perished? Like disappeared? What happened to its people?"

"No idea. I bet no one knows what happened to them." He looked at her with alarm. "And don't go asking around either. It won't be safe. Let's pretend I didn't say anything. So how did you have that?"

"My mother used it. I got it from her. Though I gave Ed--Eldric was something I made. Under my mother's supervision, of course. I'm not sure if she learned it from that country you are talking about." She added when he perked up.

"Your mother-- the one called the witch?" when Lia nodded, Jeremiah continued. "By any chance, is she a physician, or did she study in the capital? Do you know who was her teacher in the capital?"

Jeremiah sounded a lot excited, and Lia was overwhelmed with the barrage of questions that left her flustered.

She decided to be truthful, "I'm afraid I don't know anything about that. She's quite a private person."

Jeremiah considered. "Tell me, does she have blond hair?"

Lia was to answer his question when she remembered Eldric's words so she shook her head.

"Why is she called the witch then?" Jeremiah's shoulders sagged. "Can I meet your mother? I'm just really curious about her methods. This could be a breakthrough in our medicine and we'll be a greater country with these!"

Lia gaped. She'd never met a science nerd as huge as Jeremiah. He seemed nice, but he can be overwhelming when excited that it was hard for her to keep up with his enthusiasm.

The door opened, saving her from answering. Her relief disappeared when Eldric casually strolled inside the room that surprised both Jeremiah and Lia. He raised an eyebrow to answer Jeremiah's scowl, "Stop harassing her with questions and let her rest."

"And knock when you enter the door." Jeremiah berated.

"I did. But your overenthusiastic voice drowns the sound out."

"You and your stealth." Jeremiah sighed. "Fine. I'll give up for now. But you should let me meet your mother at least once. Please!"