Time for a new plan

Lia and Frankie went back to her room, both absorbed in their own thoughts. After a while, a soldier knocked and passed them their trays. They both ate in silence after Lia made sure that there was no poison added in there. But she still had no appetite, as her mind was preoccupied with their safety.

Compared to her, Frankie ate with gusto that Lia had to share with him her food.

"Take it slowly." She smiled as she gave her portion.

Frankie flushed and thanked her. "I haven't eaten anything since I left."

Lia sat straight. "That's right. Where did you hide Tamara and Yolly?"

"They're hiding northeast of here. Don't worry, it's a safe place. No one knows there."

Lia wondered how they found a good hideout that fast when she was sure that Eldric would have sent his men after them but didn't find anything. But that was not important right now so she put it at the back of her mind.

"Like I said earlier, Tamara was so worried that something would happen to you so she sent me here. That was really risky," Frankie looked amazed. He continued. "But how do we leave? And when? I'm not sure the rations we got will last for long."

Lia thought for a while, "I need to talk to the general once more. I'm not sure if he really meant accepting my conditions. If he doesn't then..." She did not want to think about what would happen.

"You bargained with the general?!" Frankie asked incredulously, he almost choked on his food.

Lia nodded. "Yes, with the medicine."

"But they can get that with the mayor!"

"No, the mayor doesn't have it. Besides, he is in debt with whoever gave him those drinks. He put his daughter and his wife as collateral to the group so he won't tell the truth," she muttered, remembering what she had read from the novel.

"He what--?" Frankie spluttered. "How did you even know something like that?"

Lia stilled and berated herself for carelessly spilling what she knew. She tried to play it cool and kept her face blank. "I heard from the soldiers." The novel did not reveal who exactly this owner was, but Lia knew that the mayor used his family for his political and material gain. She was glad that the protagonist caught early on and perhaps, saved two lives.

'I shouldn't be rooting for him. He'll be the end of me.' But it only happens if she falls for him. They could be friends. 'He just lied to you.' She sighed and pushed her plate.

Someone knocked on the door and pulled her out of her thoughts. She met Frankie's wide eyes. Another knock, and it opened, revealing Jeremiah.

"Oh, I apologize, I didn't know you were eating," Jeremiah said. "I can come back."

Frankie shoved that last bread in his mouth and stood up. "It's fine! We're okay now." He turned to Lia, I'm just going to take a walk outside."