Chaper 1

"Jayfeather! Jayfeather! Come quick! Dovewing is kitting!" Dovewing's mate, Bumblestripe frets.

"This early?" Jayfeather mutters, half to himself. These kits are almost a moon early, he ponders. And with six of them, it will be a miracle from Starclan if half of them survive!

"Jayfeather! You coming or not?" Bumblestripe hisses, and Jayfeather flicks his ears irritably.

"Yes, now leave so I can get the herbs needed for her kitting," Jayfeather retorts and narrows his eyes. As Bumblestripe turns away heading for the nursery, Jayfeather quickly grabs the herbs for Dovewing and rushes towards the nursery. As he pushes his way inside, he can hear Dovewing moaning in pain.

"Bumblestripe, please leave. You're not doing any good milling around and stressing her out even more" he says, feeling Dovewing's annoyance towards the gray tabby warrior.

"Okay, well I'll be outside if you need me I guess," he mumbles, and retreats through the opening on the nursery wall.

She flashes Jayfeather a greatful look. "Gosh, you'd think I'm the first queen to have ever kitted the way he's- oh!" She exclaims as a painful spasm rolls through her body.

"You're doing great, Dovewing. Here, eat these. It'll help your kitting," he says, pushing the herbs towards her. Quickly she laps them up as another spasm wracks her body. "Now this time, when you feel another one coming, push!" As Jayfeather finishes his sentence, she shrieks and a little wet bundle plops onto the moss. He quickly nips the sac and sets Cinderheart, one of the other queens in the nursery, to licking its fur dry. This process repeats four more times until Dovewing is exhausted.

"Come on Dovewing! One more!" Cinderheart encourages, and Dovewing moans.

"I can't- oh!" She shrieks, and with that, the last one of the litter plops onto the moss and bracken. But something was wrong with it, and Jayfeather could tell by the shallow sound of its breathing and it's feeble cries.  "Is it okay?" She asks worriedly.

"Dovewing, I'm sorry, but I don't believe this kit will make it. We'll hope for the best, but it is most likely too weak."

"Oh!" Dovewing exclaims, full of greif. Jayfeather noses it towards her stomach to feed, but is convinced the little tom won't make it. He felt so small, so light when he had nudged the little kit.

"You better let Bumblestripe see these kits. He's been stressing for moons out there!" Cinderheart mews lightheartedly, making Dovewing's whiskers twitch. "Hey Bumblestripe! Get on in here and see your six new kits!"

Bumblestripe bursts into the nursery with Firestar on his heels. "Oh wow! They're perfect!" He gasps in amazement while gazing at the kits. "Such perfect kits need perfect names," he mews.

"I name the three she-kits, you name the three toms," she goes on, not stopping to wait for his approval. "The all gray one is Tulipkit, the gray dapple is Rosekit, and the silver tabby with Lilykit." She finishes, love thickening her mew.

"Those names are perfect," he whispers. "I name this dark gray tabby Stormkit, the white one Jinglekit, and the grayish blue one Lakekit."

"They're the most perfect kits," she gasps. Jayfeather snorts and leaves the den. All mothers say that, he seethes. And yet, every one of their kits turn out to be little mischief makers. Behind him he hears Firestar welcoming the kits into the clan. He settles down in his nest and he immediately feels Briarlight's gaze boring into his back.

"What's wrong Jayfeather?" she asks, knowing him too well.

I'm jealous of Dovewing because she can have a mate and kits while I'm stuck here being a stupid medicine cat with Half Moon always plaguing my thoughts! "Nothing," he mews.

"Oh come on, you're not gonna avoid me that easily. Now tell me or I'll stuff your fresh kill with deathberries tomorrow," she threatens, making Jayfeather's whiskers twitch.

"It's nothing you'd understand, okay?" He snaps, and instantly regrets it when he senses Briarlight's hurt. "Sorry, Briarlight. It's just that I'm stressed with Dovewing's kits' early arrival and the two more queens expecting. There's gonna be more kits than this clan can handle. But I guess it's okay, because once they're apprentices I can get some help with fetching moss and herbs. Starclan knows the warriors hate to do it," He jokes, and the answer seemd to satisfy Briarlight. "You don't have to worry about me, I'll be fine," he reassures her, and licks her ears. "Goodnight, Briarlight."

"Goodnight, Jayfeather," she mumbles, and is soon asleep.

As Jayfeather drifts off to sleep, he wakes up almost immediately. Yellowfang is standing above him, stress and fear in her eyes. He scrambles up, looking at her questioningly.

"What's wrong Yellowfang?" He asks in a worried tone.

"Come with me!" She replies in a gruff tone, and he follows her, ending up in the stone hollow.

"Why take me here?" He questions. "I live here every day you know."

"I said follow me!" She snaps, and he silently follows her into the nursery and looks at Dovewing's kits for the first time. Tulipkit looks just like Dovewing, Stormkit is a mini replica of his father, and Lilykit resembles Ivypool. She is one of the most beautiful kits he had ever seen, he had to admit. She will definitely catch the attention of a few toms, that's for sure. "One of these kits will be your worst nightmare!" She roars. "Remember what you are, or lose yourself forever!"