Chapter 16

I open my eyes to an empty den. I sigh and tuck my muzzle under my paws. I really miss those kits. They always made my mornings bright. It doesn't help that their scent still lingers in the cave even though it's been a moon since they left.

I walk outside the cave and taste the air in search of prey for breakfast. I don't have to wander around for long before I find a mouse. I pounce on it and snap its neck. My stomach rumbles but I take the mouse back to the cave to eat in safety.

When I arrive back I drop the mouse immediately and start eating. While I chew I can't help but think about Lilypaw. It's a shame she wasn't born a rogue cat. Or maybe it's a good thing that she wasn't born a rogue cat. Us rogues aren't the most caring and honest cats. I shudder and tuck back into my meal. She certainly doesn't seem like she could get used to the rogue life either. While I'm lost in thought a cat slithers in.

"Oh hey Stream, long time no see," she mews slyly and I choke on my mouse.

"What are you doing here?" I cry and feel a twinge of fear run through me as I swallow.

"What? No hello? No 'It's so nice to see you again!" She mews, faking a shocked expression.

"You know what you did. You know why I did what I did. But I don't understand how you found me! I've been so careful..." I trail off trying to figure out how I could've been so careless.

"Well, you did stay in this beautiful cave for a while. And that gorgeous she-cat seemed like she was having the time of her life here. I wonder why she left. Oh! That's right! You pushed her away. You pushed her away like you did to me. What a shame it would be if anything were to happen to her..." She looks at me with a dangerous look in her eyes. I hop up forgetting my half-eaten mouse. I feel rage take over me.

"What did you do to her? If you laid a claw on her you're going to regret ever meddling in my life again," I threaten and she rolls her eyes.

"Wow, you really like her. Relax mouse-brain. I didn't hurt her, I was just checking to see how much of a fool you are. Now, my real reason for being here. I need your help," She sees me open my mouth to protest and cuts me off before I can say anything. "And before you answer with a no, I think you owe me after what you did to me. Nothing could have been worse than that."

I flick my tail nervously and meet her expectant gaze. It takes me a while to decide what to say. "Well, it depends on what you need me to do," I finally answer.

"It's a rescue mission. As you may know, I have finally found someone that I am confident won't betray me," She shoots me an evil glare. "But, in consequences resulting from your betrayal, he was attacked by some rogues from The Ravine and was taken in by twolegs. I need your help getting him out."

"No. You know I don't mess around in the twoleg's area. Need I remind you that you got me trapped in a twoleg den for moons? With a dog? No, I don't think I'm going to help you. I hope you can free him on your own." I turn away from her and start padding further into the cave.

She calls softly "Stream, it's Jake."

********

"How'd you know he was attacked?" I ask as we walk deeper into the forest.

"I was sneaking around the outskirts of The Ravine and I heard yowling inside, which isn't out of the ordinary these days. They're bloodthirsty and power hungry and will do anything to achieve it. What made me stop was when I heard them mention my name. They mentioned that what they were doing was 'because of that she-cat' and I snuck in as far as I could without being noticed. It was horrible Stream. I followed them as they dragged him to the den of a Twoleg and just left him there. I tried to save him but the Twoleg came out before I could get to him." She looks ashamedly at the floor and I can't help but pity her. It was my mess that got her into this after all.