Nine

"He's starting to wake up" a nurse spoke to Calum as he held me gently, assisting me in walking, which hurt like hell- but I wouldn't dare complain.

We went in, seeing a very beat up and groggy version of my dad.

Calum helped me silently sit in a chair next to the bed, himself sitting in the one right beside it.

"And what's your name?" A nurse asked him.

"Brandon Johnson" he spoke.

"Tell me your address" she spoke, having all this wrote on his clipboard, making sure he could remember.

"981 Hardgrove Loop" He spoke.

"Everything seems okay- any questions?" She asked.

"How did I get here?" He questioned slowly.

"You were involved in a car accident with your daughter-" "my daughter?" He questioned slowly.

The nurses eyebrows moved together, I felt my own heart beating a little erratically.

"Your daughter, she's right there" the nurse spoke slowly, pointing to me.

We made eye contact, but his facial expression never changed.

"What's her name?" Calum asked slowly.

His eyes moved from me to Calum

"I-I don't have a daughter, I don't even have a wife" he spoke slowly.

"She died from cancer about ten years ago" I spoke quickly.

"Remember?" I questioned.

His eyes stayed questioning.

"Jessica" he mumbled, making me immediately nod.

"Yes, her name was Jessica. You both met in college- you both had me, She was a nurse and you're a lawyer, you wanted me to be a surgeon" I spoke quickly.

"We never got married- we just dated, we didn't even have sex, there's no way you're mine." He spoke quickly.

I went to my camera roll, finding pictures.

"This was us eleven years ago- we took a family vacation to Disney" I spoke, showing him pictures.

"I-I don't remember this" he spoke- looking almost concerned for me.

"Dad-" "don't call me that" he spoke quickly.

I felt beyond defeated.

"You've gotta remember me-" "please get her out of here, I have no idea who she is" he almost whispered to Michael, who slowly looked to me and Calum.

"Come on Hollan-" "no- you can't kick me out, he's my dad- he's all I have and I'm all he has" I almost panicked, pulling my arm away from Calum grip.

"Holland, he doesn't want you in his room right now, we can come back later when he's more away-" "dad, look at me" I panicked, feeling tears flying down my face.

I grabbed his hand, staring into his eyes.

"Tell me that you remember me- just please, think." I cried out, almost begging him.

Everyone was silent, I felt my hip hurting- but I didn't care.

His eyes scanned my face- he held a facial expression that I couldn't read.

He slowly took his hand away from my own.

"Are you guys going to make her leave or do I have to call the police?" He asked.

I stared to him, every inch of hope in my body dropping.

I felt Calum's arms wrap around me before I was carefully lifted and I didn't fight it

I let my head hit his shoulder as he carried me bridal style.

We went back to my room and he laid me in bed, focusing to me.

"Sometimes after surgery everything comes back to them- it just takes a little bit, you have to give him some time and work with him" he spoke slowly.

"And what happens if he doesn't remember?" I asked slowly.

"We'll figure that out when we get to that point"