Chapter 22 Odds

"WHAT THE?!"

Was all Seulgi could blurt out. She hurriedly skied down to where Joohyun crashed to only found that the situation was way terrible. Joohyun was nowhere to be found. Only the broken rails were visible. With the thick snow falling and darkness of the night, it was hard for Seulgi to find the disguise actress.

The chief editor didn't lose hope and tried to look harder until she spotted a figure lying down, shoved in the snow few feet down her spot. Without having second thoughts, Seulgi slid down to reach for the unconscious Joohyun. Lifting her on her back, Seulgi tried to climb back to the surface but due to the slippery snow and snow fall that was getting heavier, she was unable to climb up.

"Damn!" she cursed under her breath. Looking around to find a way, she spotted a shallow cave which she immediately strides toward to.

The chief editor gently placed the unconscious actress inside the shallow cave. She could see how Joohyun became so pale due to cold resulting from being almost buried by the snow. Seulgi quickly took Joohyun's hands and slid them inside her jacket's pockets and hug her tight, rubbing her hands on Joohyun's shoulder, hoping to ease the coldness the other was feeling.

"Joohyun, what are you trying to do? Are you trying to throw your life away?" Seulgi thought while looking at the unconscious woman she's holding. It made her felt guilty contemplating on the actress request, that maybe it was her fault that Joohyun was trying to take her life away.

"I'm sorry, Bae Joohyun" it made Seulgi all frustrated if it turned out to be intentional than an accident.

Joohyun slowly gained consciousness, she was surprised to see the sleeping Seulgi hugging her then she remembered what happened. Her longing for her saviour back in high school made her blurt what's running through her mind while looking at the sleeping chief editor.

"Seulgi, what happened to us? Can we just go back to the time when we're just in high school? Where the only problem I had was being bullied but with you being my saviour. Can we just go back where things were just simple? Why do we need to grow up where you hated celebrities and me being one of them."

"Don't you recognize me? I'm Bae Joohyun..." due to her weak body and fever that was rising up, Irene slowly drifted back into unconsciousness.

"Oh. You're awake" Moonbyul expressed seeing Joohyun slowly opening her eyes. A white room was visible on Joohyun's sight as she roams her eyes around the place.

"W-where am I?" faintly heard, Moonbyul was able catch on what the woman said. "You're in a local hospital near the area. We found you and Seulgi later this morning. God, I didn't know how you survive the cold." Moonbyul explained while slowly walking and scanning the room.

Hearing Seulgi's name ring Joohyun's senses back, forcing herself to sit up and asked. "Where's Seulgi?"

"Seulgi was taken back to Seoul by her mother. She was actually in a little serious condition from you." Explaining further, Moobyul's eyes dropped on the name tag attached on the hospital bed. "Oh my God!" Joohyun exclaimed in worries but was interrupted by Moonbyul.

"Bae Joohyun..." Moonbyul said but not directly to Joohyun but to just state the name she read like she remembered something.

"That's someone who left Seulgi just when she's about to confess her feelings towards her." Moonbyul added.

"WHA-WHAT?!" Joohyun was surprised from what Seulgi's bestfriend stated.

* Flashback*

"Oooh. Our Seulgi is all grown up now." Moonbyul teased while patting Seulgi on her shoulder.

"Shut up, Byulie!" Seulgi hissed. She was evidently nervous but the young Seulgi decided that it has to be today, the day she will express her feelings to someone for the first time. Holding a sealed love letter on her hand with a "Bae Joohyun" written on it, Seulgi took a deep breath one last time before striving to her destination.

"I'll see you later then" Moonbyul waved at the nervous Seulgi before heading to her own business that day.

Seulgi gulped as she slowly approached her destination, it was one of the hallways of their school and Seulgi decided to wait someone dear to her heart that always passes that place. "I can't believe I'm sweating over this" she mumbled. She can't control the fast beating of her heart along with a short attack of being out of breath whenever someone shows up along the hallway thinking that it was the person she's waiting for.

Seconds...minutes... soon turned into hours of waiting but the person she's expecting to pass by never came until Seulgi lost her hope. "Almost every day, it was her routine to pass by here. How come of all the days, she decided not to, today... I guess it's not meant to be" again, Seulgi mumbled to herself.

"You look stupid, Kang Seulgi." she expressed along her sad and defeated smile. For the high schooler Seulgi, with that young age, she was traumatized by the experience of confessing but because it was a feeling that was never spoken, Seulgi wasn't able to get over it. It was also later that day her father died.

Due to her young age, Seulgi thought that it was her fault that Joohyun didn't show up and that her father left her for good, that maybe if she was a good student and not a gangster, Joohyun will like her and that her mother would be proud of her and not hid her from the world, that will not result to his father's lonely death.

* End of Flashback*

"From that day onward, Seulgi decided to throw her old self away and pulled the kindness within her together with her neat and decent transformation." Moonbyul stated.

"That sums up to the Seulgi you see today" she added locking her eyes on Joohyun.

After hearing Moonbyul's story about Seulgi's past, without thinking, Joohyun forced herself to get off the bed and tried to run to Seulgi to explain everything but felt dizzy the moment she stood up. Moonbyul was fast enough to catch her and gently pushed her back to her bed. "Calm down, Ms. Bae. I think recovering should be your first priority." Moonbyul reminded.

"I didn't know." Was all Joohyun could say. She didn't expect that Seulgi would like her back then, a weak girl who was bullied by everyone. She never thought that the person she likes actually likes her too. But then she saw a hint on Moonbyul's eyes.

"You knew? You knew that it was me all along?" Joohyun asked. "Well, not really. Not until I saw you up close. I was in doubt at first 'cause hell you look more beautiful and confident compared before." Moonbyul explained. "But then, I just knew it has to be you"

"Does Seulgi knew?" Joohyun added, "I'm not sure, I haven't asked. She looks clueless to me" Moonbyul expressed. With a lot going through her head, Joohyun remained silent.

"Can I ask you one thing?" Moonbyul broke the dead air. Raising her eyebrows, Joohyun waited for Moonbyul to continue.

"Why didn't you show up that day?"

--End of Chapter 22--