New Roads! Chapter 9

Chapter 9: Publicity

I walked through Djaden, stopping by a few shops to sell the loot I had gotten.

I sold the diverse yellowed tunics, tough skin belts, and the traveling boots for 60 (sixty) bronze coins in a clothes store. In a more luxurious one, I sold 2 (two) short-sleeved light brown tunics, the 3 (three) light brown trousers I had and 1 (one) dark brown trousers. To this I added half of my good clouted traveling boots and the ones I was actually wearing, reaching 1 (one) silver coin and 17 (seventeen) bronze coins.

My next stop was to a weapons shop were I exchanged my 12 (twelve) extra hunting knives, dented knives and knifes, the common wooden bows and my extra hunting bows, the rusty iron swords, the ornamented swords, the 10 (ten) shining swords and all my stone-headed handmade arrows getting 4 (four) silver coins and 183 (one hundred and eighty-three) bronze coins. I then bought 375 (three hundred and seventy-five) wooden arrows, a fifth of which went into a newly acquired small quiver. Those cost me a total of 164 (one hundred and sixty-four) bronze coins.

Paper scrolls and quills were worth 1 (one) bronze coin each instead of nothing if sold in a general store which I did.

In total, by selling my loot I had made a benefit of 7 (seven) silver coins and 44 (forty-four) bronze coins.

After my various stops at the shops I had emptied my satchel and in my backpack was only left the official site's recommended extra 5 (five) clothing sets, enough arrows to fill my current quiver 4 (four) more times, my Cook's, Brewer's and Herboist's tools and ingredients, a dozen (12) of currently brewing beverages, handmade potions and healing pastes, Uncle Philip's and Serena's letters, my map, the strange skill book, and the Forest Ruins Chiefs Journals complete book series.

I went to the Training Hall and found Kaden, exercising a few Hand to Hand combat poses.

I took my bags, belt, and my vest off and joined him. For the next hour, we stretched our limbs and pushed our limits. When we were both ridden with fatigue I turned back to him.

"Teacher, I am back."

"Welcome back, Ben. How was the Expedition?"

"Cooking for so many people was way tougher than I thought. I took part in a few battles too. Didn't really like it."

Too many players stealing my exp points.

"But I learned how to calculate an item's market value, it will be quite useful I think... and I drove the cart. It was difficult at first but now I'm better at it."

"Sounds boring to me."

"It is but since you have to be careful of the road, what you are carrying and be wary of any attacks, you are always paying attention."

No way I would let anyone get my hard-worked loot without a fight.

"Oh, I met a man named Beok! He kinda knew you... And I have a letter for you."

"Oh? Let's see what it says then."

I gave him the letter, as he read it he kept eyeing me while chuckling. Once he finished it turned to me again.

"Do you know what this letter says?"

"That she finds me insupportable? Moronic?"

"It says that she will never be able to find another Cook because you were so beyond perfect in your duties that you nearly eclipsed her in front of her men."

"She says all that?"

"Yes and many more things. Among which is the fact that you are the most surprising person she has ever met... that is not a light thing for her to say. And I agree."