Ch 16 | Illusions

P.o.v. Yanida Clover

After some fast attacks from Sherria I had to inhale deeply to catch my breath. Her God Slayer Boreas move pressed all the air out of my lungs. So far it seemed like we were evenly matched but I know that she isn't fighting full force yet.

"Are you getting tired? Not every battle can be a lovely pin-up model challenge," she said trying to get under my skin. I know that she's getting annoyed at the fact that I'm not saying a word, and that makes her attacks flawed. During the several minutes that we were fighting, I tried to find her rhythm, the way she fired her attacks. I try to move on that to predict her movement rather than reading her mind, so I can spare magic power.

Flawlessly I dodged her next set of moves and tried to gain more and more magic power. The key to my magic is staying calm and collected, this way I can concentrate on my opponent's mind. I closed my eyes and kept moving on Sherria's rhythm meanwhile trying to gain access to her subconscious.

P.o.v. 3rd person

"It seems that Lamia Scale's Sherria and Fairy Tails Yanida found each other in the arena. Yanida was able to dodge most of Sherria's attack until now but how long will she keep up?" Chapati announced. The whole arena was cheering for every guild possible, but most of them just enjoyed the eventful battles that were going on and didn't care about the guilds all that much.

The battle between Erza, Kagura and Minerva is the most thrilling fight at the moment. The three women were evenly matched and during their fight, they brought destruction along with their strong attacks. When Minerva fired a powerful spell causing a structure in Crocus to crumble down, every other contestant looked up to watch.

Yanida took this opportunity to infiltrate Sherria's mind and place her inside an illusion. Sherria needed a few minutes to adjust herself to what she saw. "Where am I? Did you transport me?" she screamed from the top of her lungs. The only thing she could see was a bright light at the end of what seemed to be a tunnel. "You're in an illusion," Yanida said, and Sherria heard her inside her own head. Sherria thought several minutes ago that she had the upper hand, and didn't know what to do now, so she ran to the end of the tunnel hoping that it was the exit.

When she went through the opening her eyes needed seconds to adjust to the light, but before that happened she felt knuckles collide in her stomach. The attack threw her back a couple of feet, she knew it had to be Yanida and collected herself. "You have to make better illusions to keep me off your back," Sherria commented on Yanida's attack and looked up to meet her face. But she did not see Yanida anywhere, instead, Lyon stood in front of her looking triumphant. "Lyon?" she asked disbelievingly.

But Lyon did not speak and instead came running towards her, attacking with close-combat moves. But to everyone else, the one attacking Sherria was Yanida, who was now having the upper hand in the battle. Yanida used her illusions to alter reality for Sherria, little changes to fool her and keep her confused.

'Why is he attacking me? We are still in the Games, right? This does not make any sense! Lyon would never attack me like this, speaking of Lyon, he would also not use weapons like that.' Sherria thought to herself when she was trying to shield herself from the attacks, but none the less got cut in several places.

When she looked up to who she believed was her trusted teammate, she thought his movements were unlike him. The better Sherria looked at Lyon, the more things she found that didn't match and soon realized that maybe this was not real. Yanida saw the knowing glance in Sherria's face and lifted the filter on reality for her when she said; "You needed less time than I thought you would need to realize, congratulations for that".