Chapter 12 | Amnesia

*Jack's POV*

"Who are you?"

He looks terrified, eyes watering as he clutches the blankets to cover his body.

"Nurse!" I yell, not wanting to scare him away.

Quickly I'm pushed out of the room, making my way numbly to the area where the other boys normally hung out for a while to let me have some time alone with Rye. When I get to them, tears are already forming stains on my cheeks. Andy rushing to my side, holding me close to him. The other two following quickly, forming a circle around me.

"He-he's awake." I stutter and they all pull away excited. "He doesn't remember m-e."

I fall to the floor now, trembling as tears begin to silently trace down my face. I just got him back and I was going to lose him all over again. We were all the family he had.

"Ryan Beaumont?" A nurse calls out and I turn.

"I am his boyfriend." I speak up once I gain control of my voice, and she turns to us with a sad smile.

"I think we all need to sit down and have a bit of a chat."

Setting down in a seat the nurse begins to explain.

"So Rye was in a coma. Not medically induced of course and we don't know the exact source of it. Best guess at this point was it was a defense mechanism with the trauma he was going through. It seems to us that Rye has formed retrograde amnesia, which means he does not remember any past formed memories. But as its not as severe as we thought, he does remember childhood up until right before living with Alex. Now we do believe he will get these back with time. Similar to how he experienced the nightmares Jack explained that he had from his first trauma with Alex."

I keep nodding my head, almost robotic in nature. Numb to the fact that I may yet again be losing the boy I was in love with.

"Take it easy when you take him home. He won't remember anything. Which Jack this sadly means the best thing would probably have him stay in his own room for now until he's comfortable enough. Its going to take time for these memories to come back. Bring him places that are common for him to go to. Do things with him that you used to do."

"Photos. Would photo albums help as well?" Andy speaks up.

"Yes they definitely will."

***

I was trying. I was trying so damn hard to not just reach out and kiss him. To not hold my baby. Keep him safe from harm. But instead i was an arms distance away as we all made our way into the cabin from the car.

The car ride had been silent. Rye falling asleep, eventually cuddling up to me in his unconscious state. Only to pull himself away quickly once he had woke up and notice what he'd done.

"Welcome home." I mutter, making a beeline for our- my bedroom.

Best idea was to leave the other boys to show him around the house. Hearing soft chatter in the distance as the sunlight slowly disappeared over the mountains. Sat in Rye's rocking chair, softly playing with his stuffed bunny. My body numbed as I watch the storm clouds roll in. It's like mother nature is laughing at me.

"Knock knock."

I almost fall out of the rocking chair, whipping my head to see Sonny standing at the doorway of the room. Knuckles frozen on the door opening.

"Sorry." He squeaks out.

"It's alright." I mumble, setting Bumble down on the dresser. "Come in."

I watch as Sonny shuts the door behind him, making his way to set down next to me on the king sized bed. Seeming to be much too big without Rye in it with me.

"Are you..." Sonny begins but I cut him off.

"For the love of god don't ask me if I'm ok." I rush out, holding my hand over his mouth and he nods.

I pull away, laying back on the bed.

"I'm not." I start.

Sonny gives me a look so I continue.

"I'm not ok. The guy I've fallen in love with doesn't remember me. He flinches from me. Not even fazed when I just disappear from everyone." I stand up. "Like god what did I do to deserve this! I'm losing the man I want to marry, because I wasn't able to protect him."

I let my body drop to the bed again as the tears begin to roll, falling down at a steady stream. Sonny pulling me to him tightly.

"Don't you dare blame yourself."

Happy Monday? Don't worry, Rye will be ok much sooner than you think!! I for one am exhausted. I've worked 17 hours in the past two days. 8 more today. Plus consistently running places when I'm not at work or doing coursework. I've not had much of a break recently to say the least. Hope all is well with everyone! Peace and love, see you on the stupid side x